Sunday, January 29, 2012

Things Authors Should Know About Social Media


I ran across an interesting blog post titled, 25 Things You Should Know About Social Media. You can get there from here.

I agree with most of the things in this post, especially this one:

Writers are content creators, and so it behooves us to share what we love. You’re generally better off showing positivity rather than sowing the seeds of negativity. For the most part, the Internet is a monster that thrives the rage of countless disaffected white people, so I don’t know that it does a writer good to be a part of that noise. Your audience cares more about what you’re into rather than what you’re not. After all, I don’t particularly care for a lot of things. Most things, really. If I spent all my time talking about them, I’d be little more than a septic social fountain spewing my bitter froth into the world.

I'm going to add my own comment here. In some cases, I have seen writers get immediate attention with social media by being extremely aggressive, insulting, and negative. I've seen them get into flame wars and bitter confrontation...in public for all to witness. And yes, they do get attention for a while. But I've also seen that after people listen to them rant long enough, they grow tired and forget all about them eventually. I have never once seen anyone who does things simply for shock value survive. One of the things authors need to know is that you're in this for the duration, at least you're supposed to be. And if you attract a huge following in the beginning based on shock value and negativity, you might wind up regretting it in the end.

And for me, one of the biggest turn offs is when I see authors discussing politics too much...unless of course you have a viable political platform. But if you don't have a political background or platform, I don't care which end of the political spectrum you're on. Niether does anyone else.

This is a good one, too. It's well put, in plain English:

Show the World You're Not a Raging Bonerhead
The Internet is like hot dogs: it’s made of lips and assholes. A writer does well to set himself aside from all that and use social media to reveal that he is, indeed, not a giant bucket of non-contributing human syphilis.

Here's another link, titled The 18 Most Annoying People on Facebook. This one is a little more difficult because we've all probably been guilty of one or two of these things in the past. But that doesn't mean we have to continue to make the same mistake time and again.

2 comments:

Shannon H.Goetz said...

Its like you read my mind! You seem to know so much about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you could do with a few pics to drive the message home a bit, but other than that, this is excellent blog. A fantastic read. I will certainly be back.
la Lovie Tipping Cardigan Purple

ryan field said...

I've been on social media for a long time and I've seen so many people come and go I can't even count them anymore.

Thanks.