Sunday, January 22, 2012

About Goodreads Parting from Amazon...

Here's the statement I found at this link.

On January 30, Goodreads will no longer display book information that comes from Amazon.

Basically it means that because Goodreads thinks Amazon is too "restrictive," they will be moving to other datasources that will allegedly enhance everyone's goodreads experience.

Amazon data that we will stop using includes data such as titles, author names, page counts, and publication dates.

For many authors, publishers, and readers this is a big thing. I would imagine it's even bigger for book reviewers.

They've posted this link, where you can click "rescue me" and save information. However, each time I've clicked "rescue me" this is what I've received.

You do not have presmissions for this operation.

Unfortunately, there is no link that provides "permissions." Why does this not surprise me about goodreads? That's for another post altogether. Goodreads can be extremely helpful, but I've also found the reviews questionable at best. I wish I were more trusting, but I'm afraid I'm just not an idiot.

However, if you're on goodreads and you're interested in learning more about this, please check out the link I've provided above. I have a feeling we'll be hearing more about this in the future. To be honest, I'm not completely clear what this is all about and I plan to read more wherever I can. And if anyone has anything they'd like to add, feel free to comment.

If you're interested, here's another post by another blogger.

6 comments:

! said...

Wouldn't leaving Amazon be counterintuitive to increased sales? Though I will likely never be a full-time author supporting myself on book sales, I would like people to read me. There have to be Amazonians who are oblivious to Goodreads who may stumble onto a title and click "buy." Am I missing something? I'm neither a fan nor an enemy of Amazon, but if I were Goodreads, I think I'd stay linked.

Matt Darringer

ryan field said...

I can't even get to the "rescue me" information to see if I have to worry about it or not. I'm just going to keep probing until I find out.

Pia Veleno said...

You probably need Librarian status to 'rescue'. PM me the book pages that have the rescue button and I'll look into it.

It's one thing to want to use other sources, but to delete the Amazon imported books is to invite User boycott IMO.

Kiernan_Kelly said...

Someone told me that you need "librarian" status on Goodreads in order to rescue yourself or anyone else. Since I have no idea how to become a librarian there, what the secret handshake or password is, that's as far as I got, too.

Kiernan_Kelly said...

Someone told me that you need "librarian" status to rescue your books. Since I have no idea how to obtain this status, be it through secret handshakes or whispered passwords, I'm afraid that's all help I can be on the subject.

ryan field said...

Check out my recent post above this. The link is good and I found and rescued all of my books that needed rescuing. Some didn't. As usual something relatively simple was made difficult.