Saturday, January 21, 2012

Not Too Long Ago...


Whenever you think you're having a bad day, just take a look at the photo here and remember how much worse it could get.

This is what writers used to use. Editing was done with red pens and authors rewrote so many times their fingers turned black. Nowadays I rarely ever rewrite anything. I edit extensively. But I never rewrite like I used to do when I submitted hardcopy. And that's because if I wanted to change a sentence or a paragraph I couldn't cut and paste. I had to rewrite the entire page and then hope it would fit.

Of course I didn't use a typewriter like this one, but I did use an IBM Electric and a Word Processor right up until 1999. I still have boxes filled with hardcopy manuscripts I haven't bothered to turn into electronic files.

The only reason I switched to a computer in 1999 was because my editors were starting to tell me I didn't have a choice anymore. Basically, they told me if I didn't go electronic I wouldn't be able to keep up. And I was still in my twenties, which made me unique in the sense that I wasn't online at all. Although I'm glad everything is now electronic, from submissions to contracts, and I wouldn't want to go back to a typewriter for any amount of money, there was something very comforting about the sound, feel, and touch of a typewriter that can't be explained unless you've done it.

2 comments:

Jay Ross said...

Well I learned to type on something similar to the one shown. The next step was electric, but it took forever for me to use a commputer. I don't ever want to go back to the old way. lol

ryan field said...

I agree!!