Thursday, February 13, 2014

Priest for Gays in Trinidad; Terrell Thomas Gets Confused with Gays

Priest for Gays in Trinidad

I know it's unusual these days, but sometimes there's something nice to read in the news and this is one I couldn't resist. A Catholic priest recently gave a speech that calls for gays to be enshrined in a new constitution in Trinidad. He did this during a consultation, and made a point of saying the issue doesn't even warrant further debate.

On the issue of sexual orientation being subject to further national discussion ... discussion about what? Aren’t LGBT, aren’t they not humans still, yes or no?’ Fr Geofroy asked, according to the Trinidad Express.

I think it's important to pay attention to these things because we often hear so many negatives with regard to gays and Catholics. I can say from personal experience, as someone who grew up Catholic and went through 12 years of Catholic school, most Catholics are not anti-gay. Tony's family is Catholic, and so is mine. They aren't anti-gay. So what we often hear on this topic comes from one segment of the Catholic religion, and usually the most conservative and most sensationalized to sell news.

You can read more here.

Terrell Thomas Gets Confused with Gays

Terrell Thomas of the New York Giants is having a difficult time with gays in pro football. For one thing, he's afraid to say anything on the topic because he fears it might be taken out of context. He also thinks Michael Sam coming out has put too much pressure on him, and even worse, he's terrified to think about what might happen if he walks around naked in the locker room with gay men.

Thomas is also concerned about a player's ability to walk around the locker room naked.

'There's a lot of talk and joking around, and some guys walk around completely naked all the time, and they might not want to do that anymore,' he said. 'When you add that situation to the mix, I think it's going to make some people uncomfortable.'

I actually don't find any fault with this. It's all new, it's different, and it's going to take a little time for guys like Thomas to realize they have nothing to worry about. If anything, I think it's kind of cute that he would express his fears so honestly and I don't think...at least from what I've read...he's making any slams against gay people.

But Michael Sam has already addressed the locker room issue.

'I think it’s a stereotype that gay people are predators,' he said. 'It’s very offensive.' “(My being gay) shouldn’t matter if I work hard, if I make plays,' Sam added. 'That’s all that should matter. … Can he help us win games. I can. … I’m happy with who I am – I know how to play the game.”

Well said. There is this misconception about gay men lusting after straight men every waking moment of the day and nothing could be farther from the truth. If anything, it's been my own personal experience that so-called straight men are all not so innocent. I've always found them to be more aggressive...even with gay men...than gay men.

At least Terrell Thomas is honest about his feelings, which I think is a good thing because it gets the issue out in the open once and for all so we can disabuse other straight men of these gay for you notions.

You can read more here.

No comments: