Monday, February 24, 2014

Lazy Beagle; NBA First Gay Player; My Own Book Updates

Lazy Beagle

I've posted about lazybeagleentertainment.com here before. It's a web site for authors and readers and publishers to gather and to gain information about books. The owners are an industrious couple (Patrick and Rondal) who never stop working on the site and I often wonder where they find the time to do all they do. It's simple to navigate, and a good place to go if you're curious about an author or a book and you want fast information with a simple search. I check out books I'm curious about often. There's a book of the month, and an author of the month. You can also click links there that will lead you to other web sites and buy books as well without doing anything complicated. They do promotions and contests and I think it's worth checking out.

If you are an author and you haven't heard of them, check out the links below. They are very friendly and take art into consideration, which I don't see often.

Writing books is a form of art and should not be stifled. Authors use LBE and after your profile is set up, you will have one direct URL to your bio that gives you a link that contains all the links to all your sale sites and social media sites in one easy convenient place. All of this is for free. Visit Author and Book bio submissions page.

I'll continue to post as things come in.

NBA First Gay Player

Football player, Michael Sam, has been making news recently for coming out, and I think it might be setting a new standard for other pro athletes who are gay. The article to which I'm linking now talks about NBA player, Jason Collins, as the first openly gay player in the NBA. I posted about when Collins first came out, here, last April.

In that moment, history was made, as Collins became the first openly gay player to see action in an NBA game. 

Collins, signed Sunday to a 10-day contract with the Brooklyn, was welcomed with a nice ovation when Staples Center public address announcer Lawrence Tanter announced his name.

"Right now I'm focusing on trying to learn the plays, learning the coverages and the game plan and the assignments. So I didn't have time to really think about history," Collins said at a crowded press conference less than an hour before the game.

You can read more here.

I'd like to put this into perspective for people who might not understand the magnitude of it...or the significance with respect to younger gay people who might be thinking about coming out. When I was in high school there were no role models like Michael Sam or Jason Collins. None. We took what we could get in secret about gay culture on the fringes and many of us found it hard to identify with that information. If there had been men like Michael Sam and Jason Collins around when I'd been in high school I think life would have been so much easier.

My Own Book Updates and Surprises

I've been remiss with my own book updates here on the blog. And a good deal of that is because I've been releasing books at a slower pace for various reasons. One, I think the market is saturated with too many books. That's not a bad thing. Think about it...TOO many books. How wonderful is that? I never actually thought I'd make a comment like that. But it is a reality authors need to deal with. As they say in real estate, it's definitely a buyers market.

But the problem is that with so many books out there it's harder to figure out when to release a new book for authors like me. We're also competing against authors who do more than a few questionable promotional things I won't get into now. My writing schedule hasn't slowed down at all. In fact, I have five completely finished, edited novels (one is over 100,000 words long) that haven't been released  yet. I also have one 25,000 word novella in the Second Chance series coming out soon. And, I have signed up with two more publishers for anthologies. So I've been busier than ever, but I've also been releasing books in a more strategic way so readers don't get sick to death of me. I haven't discussed this with my publishers, but I think we're all on the same page. Too much, too soon, isn't always the best thing for authors, publishers, or readers.

As of right now, I'm planning to release a new full length m/m western in March, and also the novella in the Second Chance series. Titles have yet to be fully realized, but I'll post more as soon as I finalize everything with the editor I work with. The novel I'll be releasing is part of the Glendora Hill series (Cowboy Christmas Miracle). I have a few surprises with that series I think (hope) readers will enjoy, and they include something I've never seen done with any series in the past...at least I haven't seen it.

Side note: Vet your books with care, readers. If you notice a book released by an unknown author that's only two weeks old and there are over 100 five star ratings and two or three line rave reviews, purchase with caution. I'm not saying it can't happen. But the odds of a book getting that many five star reviews and ratings that soon are fairly slim. Don't be taken in by snake oil salesmen of the digital age. You work too hard for you money.

No comments: