Friday, June 10, 2011

Julia Child Biography...(without Julie Powell)


I love reading bios and non-fiction, especially when I'm writing fiction. It's the perfect escape. And right now I'm reading a biography about the life of Julia Child, written by, Noel Riley Fitch. It's smart; it's the real thing. I can't get enough of it.

And I can't help wondering what a great film the life of Julia Child would be. I was disappointed with the movie, Julie& Julia, mainly because I wanted more Julia Child and less Julie Powell. Nothing personal against Julie Powell, and I applaud her for managing to get as much attention as she did, but I'm not interested in her life at all. When I watch the movie, I fast forward the Julie parts and focus on the Julia parts.

And what a terrible shame it would be for the only biopic of Julia Child to be Julie & Julia. Julia didn't even get top billing and she was the real star. She shouldn't have to share the spotlight with anyone...not after all those years and years of hard work.

No comments: