Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Why Don't I Ever Hear There's Not Enough Sex in Books?


After I finished my post about too much sex in m/m fiction these days, I started wondering why I've never read anything about books that don't have enough sex in them.

I can't tell you how many times I've purchased a romance, m/m or hetero, and I've been disappointed in the sex scenes because I thought the author was holding back. Or, more important, lack of sex scenes altogether. I never went on Amazon or goodreads and left a nasty review saying the book didn't have enough sex...but that it sure could have used more sex. I've read novels where I've waited for at least an r-rated sex scene, hoping it would come along, only to be completely disappointed. But I didn't rant and leave a one star rating. And, so far, I don't think I've ever actually seen a review...customer or "professional"...that slammed a book for not having enough sex in it.

I'm not getting into my own opinions about this. God knows, if you read most literary agent blogs and read what they are looking for, you'd swear they were all anointed vestal virgins.

I'm not slamming anyone for not writing enough sex scenes either. I'm just curious as to why books with a lot of sex scenes are always getting slammed. Evidently, there are people out there who agree with me, otherwise sexy erotic romances wouldn't be selling as well as they are. The numbers do speak loudly, and I think readers have good taste and they know what they want. I also understand that the people who read erotic romance are a discreet, honest crowd and they usually don't like leaving comments, ratings, or reviews in public. It's one of the drawbacks of writing erotic romance: sometimes your biggest defenders are the most discreet people.

I'm also not slamming readers who don't like explicit sex scenes. You have every right to dislike explicit sex scenes, and I wouldn't take that away from any of you. I know, you want more emotion...I know, you want to feel more emotion. I've actually heard your screams and cries. We all get the picture and there's nothing wrong with that. You're a very loud group. Only I don't understand the problem, when there are so many books out there lacking good explicit sex scenes.

I think it would be interesting to see a few comments and reviews about books that don't have enough sex in them for a change. Now that, in all fairness, would be the epitome of balance.

No comments: