Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Authors Keeping the Blogs Real...And Those Nasty Said Bookisms Again...

Here's a slight rant tonight. I've been good lately, only posting about things I'm interested in. But I couldn't let this one go, so indulge me. It's my own private kind of therapy, and no one gets insulted.

One of my main goals with this blog is to keep it real, which is also why it's often boring. And, sometimes why there's mispelled word or two (I type too fast). But at least, I hope, readers know I'm not talking out of my asterisk. I'm posting what I think are valid posts about writing, life, and the lgbt community.

And sometimes I come across a blog post written my another author and I'm willing to bet the blog post is absolute fiction. Only the author tries to pull it off as being real. And, the only reason I'm guessing this particular post is fiction is because I've quietly caught this author in other lies in the past. Therefore, even if this blog post happens to be real, it gets cancelled out because I've read other posts by this same author and I know for a fact they weren't real.

There are authors out there who are so desperate to get attention and to get people to read their books they will do anything. They will create fake facebook posts and fictional blog posts. Thankfully, there are only a few. Most of the authors I know agree with me and they keep it real, too. Some keep it so painfully real we know too much about them. But, frankly, I'd rather have it that way than to be insulted with a phony blog post by a desperate author who is faking it all the way.

But the one thing that bothers me most about the kind of author who will write a phony blog post is they always seem so transparent when it comes to the craft of writing fiction. I saw this in the blog post I'm talking about above. There are telltale signs another author can spot immediately. One of which is using said bookisms and bad adverbs with regard to dialogue. I've written about said bookisms before. But here's a good example below:

said bookism... "Where are you going?" Joe barked hurriedly.

good dialogue tag... "Where are you going?" Joe asked. He spoke fast, with a hint of panic.

I'm not saying there isn't a time or place to use said bookisms or adverbs. (And I'm not even going to get into how the awkward word "hurriedly" crawls under my skin and tortures me.) Sometimes, within the right context, they work well. But when you read a section of dialogue and all the dialogue tags are laced with said bookisms and bad adverbs, nine times out of ten the author is a fake. And so are the author's blog posts.

No comments: