Saturday, July 1, 2017

Review: "I Am Michael" With James Franco; Facebook and the Dyke Word; Drag Queen Babadook Music Video

Review: I Am Michael With James Franco

I finally had a chance to see I Am Michael, with James Franco playing the gay character, Michael Glatze, and I didn't hate it.

In short, it's based on a true story about an openly gay activist-dreamer-screwed-up-gay-guy who goes off the deep end and winds up identifying as a straight Christian preacher.

I wanted to see it because I'd heard so much about it...forever. I also like to see Franco in action. Franco is supposedly straight but he's always been eager to play gay, or to become involved in gay projects. And he did a pretty good job with this one.

Tony wasn't too thrilled with it, but I can't always go by his taste because he's not into indie films with an artistic edge.

I wouldn't watch it again, but I'm glad I watched it once. It's basically your typical depressing gay story about the poor conflicted gays and how desolate their lives tend to be...according to the way it's always been with anything in books or films. Dark.

There's a weird 3-way relationship, too, that's never really explained in detail and you're left wondering WTF is up with that. I'm sorry but if you're part of a more traditional gay couple...a real marriage with two people...that kind of thing can get on your nerves. Explain it. All you get is he picks him up at a bar, all 3 hop into bed, arms and legs fly, they all wake up in the same tiny bed one morning, and in the end the one that got picked up tries to get closure...yes, closure. (They lost Tony totally with that one.)

In any event, even though I'm openly gay and have been most of my life, I couldn't identify with I Am Michael in any respect. We are not all that screwed up. So if you're looking for an escapist gay romance with a happy ending like my books, this isn't it. If you're looking for something that's high school "deep and meaningful," with tortured souls, you won't be disappointed.

Or, if there's nothing better to watch, it won't be the worst thing you've ever seen.

Here's more about the story on Wiki. 


Facebook and the Dyke Word

This kind of interests me because I try to keep up with what's PC and what's not, and I didn't think we were allowed to use the word dyke anymore when referring to a lesbian.

Evidently, that's not the case, and it's all happening on Facebook.

The social media giant has come under fire from gay and bi women reclaiming the word in a way that suits them.

Such comments that have led to temporary bans include ‘trans dykes are good and pure’ and ‘I LOVE DYKES’.

These posts have led to the comments being removed, with some resulting in 30-day bans.

Here's the rest, with screen shots.

Facebook really should keep up with these things. They're the all time gods of Political Correctness.

Drag Queen Babadook Music Video

I love this stuff. It's harmless...and it's not political.

Pride Month may be over, but 2017 will forever be remembered as the year the Babadook became a viral gay icon.


To continue the viral trend, New Jersey drag queen, Pissi Myles, dropped a hauntingly funny new music video in homage to the LGBTQ community’s latest creep queen. 

You can check that out here. I saw the Babadook movie. It wasn't bad. Frankly, I'd rather watch that one twice than I Am Michael. 

 Kendle's Fire

A PG Rated Gay Romance 





 Not All Gay Books Have Sex


In Their Prime by Ryan Field

Amazon



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This website claims Michael moved back to SF and may be swinging both ways:

http://skippingtothepiccolo.com/2017/02/26/james-franco-movies-true-ex-gay-not-ex-gay/