Saturday, July 15, 2017

Milo Yiannopoulos' Indie Pubbed Book "Dangerous"; Chechen Leader Calls Gay People Devils; Vogue Apologizes To Zayn Malik and Girlfriend For Calling Them Gender Fluid

Milo Yiannopoulos' Indie Pubbed Book "Dangerous"

Just for the record, I'm not part of Milo's PR team and I have no reason to inflate numbers. I don't even follow Milo, and I have no intention of buying his book. However, I do look at these things in a pragmatic way, not in a political way. And I want to see as many indie authors, whether they write fiction or non-fiction, succeed in publishing on their own.

With that said, I'm not so sure about this article.

In the United States, the book sold a mere 18,000 copies despite appearing at number one on Amazon’s nonfiction charts for a day. However, Yiannopolis and his PR team inflated this number, claiming the book sold 100,000 copies.

‘By now, you may have heard reports claiming we only sold 18,000 copies of Dangerous and that our 100,000 copies claim is exaggerated. I’m happy to report that this is fake news,’ Yiannopolis stated.

You can read the rest of that here. I'm not sure if it's fake news or not, but I do know it's slanted news and it's not objective...and I expect that. I think we're all used to that nowadays.

Now this article sounds more objective to me.

While the retail numbers for “Dangerous” might not blow anyone away, Publishers Weekly points out that the memoir was NPD BookScan’s third best-selling adult non-fiction release last week and sixth best-selling overall. It was also the top-selling book on Amazon immediately following its July 4 publication, but finished the week at No. 15 on the site’s new releases sales chart and failed to crack its top 100 best-seller list.

But “Dangerous” did manage to top USA Today’s non-fiction best-seller list.

From the way it sounds his book is selling and he's going to make money on it. And I find that fascinating because he wouldn't have been able to do this ten or twenty years ago. His fan base is supporting him and they are flipping the bird to the big publisher who dropped him. And whether you like Milo or not, whether you agree with him or not, this is a clear sign that publishing is still changing.

I'm not linking to his book because I'm not going to help promote him, but I have checked out the numbers on Amazon US and UK and they're not bad at all. All authors should be so lucky. It's kind of bittersweet because I'd rather see good fiction sell in numbers like this.

Chechen Leader Calls Gay People Devils

It doesn't seem to be getting any better in Chechnya.

Leader of Chechnya, Ramzan Kadyrov, again denied reports of gay people in the Russian republic, but said if there were any, they should all move to Canada.

He also said they’re ‘devils’ and ‘they are not people,’ according to Out Sports.

There's more here. As I see these things I will post more about them. Big publishing and the mainstream media don't seem to be covering these stories very well.

Vogue Apologizes To Zayn Malik and Girlfriend For Calling Them Gender Fluid

I haven't been following this one too closely. But I did learn a new word: "misgendering."

Poor Vogue. They clearly didn't see this one coming.

Vogue came under fire this week for misgendering Zayn Malik and Gigi Hadid as gender fluid.

The iconic fashion brand called the couple champions of their ‘generation embracing gender fluidity.’

But the internet was not having any of it and now Vogue is backtracking.

Here's the rest. People who really are gender fluid spoke loudly and clearly. It's another good example of the power we all have nowadays, thanks to social media.

Kendle's Fire

A PG Rated Gay Romance 





 Not All Gay Books Have Sex


In Their Prime by Ryan Field

Amazon









No comments: