Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Heteronormative TV: 13 Reasons Why; Orange Is the New Black Season 5; Alan Cumming's "Club Cumming" in NYC

Heteronormative TV: 13 Reasons Why

There's a new series on Netflix that everyone's been talking about called 13 Reasons Why. Even though there are some gay characters, it's tricky because this is strictly heteronormative TV. The gay characters aren't consistent and they tend to be stereotypical at best. At least that's what it is right now. I'm on episode #6. It might change as the series progresses. I have seen that happen with gay content. But there's nothing wrong with heteronormative TV. I love watching it and examining the lives of straight people just as much as they enjoy watching and examining gay people.

I like the show. It's an old trope with a new twist. I don't mind the fact that the Asian American girl was adopted and she has two gay dads...or that she's a lesbian who can't seem to come to terms with her sexuality even though she has two gay dads. Coming out is not simple for anyone...even if you have two gay dads. I don't mind that the kid who is editor of the paper is the only gay kid...so far...and that he could pass for a younger version of Milo Yiannopoulos. Some stereotypes are accurate and I don't find them offensive. And, as I said, maybe this will change with more episodes. I have a feeling another character will be gay, but they're creating suspense with him because he's not a stereotype. More important, with heteronormative TV (or films) being gay and not fitting into the stereotypes is still, indeed, shocking.

I'm not going to give out any spoilers because a lot of people haven't finished watching the show. But I am going to share a few links with some of the responses the show has received so far. So they might have spoilers and you've been warned. I think it all depends on what you consider a spoiler.

This is from Out Magazine, about the actor who plays the gay high school kid...

 “I only wanted straight roles — just to prove some false masculinity. But when this came I was like, I get this kid, and he needs to be seen.”

Then he goes on to make a point of mentioning this, and why he got married so quickly...

They wed on November 12, four days after Trump’s election. “I felt so scared for the first time in a long time about our safety,” he says. 

I don't understand that line about being scared and rushing into marriage, but then I guess everyone's different. In the same respect, I still worry. There are a lot of people out there who would be way too happy to take our rights away.

Here's another link to SFGATE that examines why 13 Reasons Why actually does work, in spite of its "gimmickry." It talks about the inconsistencies, and there are plenty, which is exactly what we do while we're watching the show.

Potentially more significant inconsistencies are found in the constructions of major characters, especially Hannah. At times, she is self-possessed and indifferent at best to the behavior of the popular kids. At other times, though, relatively minor misperceived slights seem to send her into an emotional tailspin. No doubt, teenagers embody a constant whirl of conflicting emotions, but the script pushes the bounds of credibility here and there. Fortunately, Langford is able to spackle over the gaps with a stunning performance.

I sometimes wonder if shows like this get praise simply because of the subject matter. In other words, because the show tackles such a serious subject in such an unusual way, are we all willing to overlook the issues with the characters and the plot? That's what I've been doing...no complaints either.

In any event, in spite of all this I'm enjoying it. I'm just not sure this is how kids in high school would actually act or react under these same circumstances in real life.

Orange Is the New Black Season 5

Now here's a TV show on Netflix where I can never find one single flaw. I really can't, no matter how hard I try.

Netflix is not-so-gently teasing everyone by posting the first full minute of Orange Is the New Black‘s upcoming season 5 premiere.

You can check that out here 

Alan Cumming's "Club Cumming" In NYC

Here's one about Alan Cumming's club in NYC that's called "Club Cumming." I know this isn't serious news, but I like knowing what's going on. I like the overall message, too.

After briefly closing in August, the popular East Village spot Eastern Bloc will undergo a head-to-toe revamp only to reemerge as “Club Cumming,” with actor Alan Cumming and party promoter Daniel Nardicio coming onboard alongside owners Darren Dryden and Ben Maisani.

You can read more about that here. I like the part about how he wants this to be a home for everyone, without judgment. I think we need more of that.

 New Release

Imperfect


https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ExsaF7ss5eA/WG2TZuK3B6I/AAAAAAAANPU/Uh2QhIRQ6BQe1grd5AMx46AS4xGNdr7lwCLcB/s1600/imperfectbig.jpg




https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-xZn6abs26DI/WJE7jSwRnMI/AAAAAAAANQY/m54zcMivpNgJwXdD3V5RVPVLIVtTdY6mACLcB/s1600/unabatedprint.jpg


https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-gGTlGraMmkk/WJE7Bsw2K2I/AAAAAAAANQU/VLHveBY43sATENwzn6_MbqF6EO4LbsntgCLcB/s1600/uncertaintyPrintCover.jpg














I don't understand that line at all, but I guess everyone's different. 

No comments: