Sunday, April 23, 2017

French Gay Men Voting for Marine Le Pen; Same Sex Couples With Risky Futures; Polar Bear Dies Of Broken Heart After Losing Same Sex Partner

French Gay Men Voting for Marine Le Pen

I know nothing at all about French politics, but I thought this was interesting...and now I know a little more about French politics.

It's an article that discusses why some French gay men are supporting conservative candidate, Marine Le Pen, and it gives some background info.

When BBC Newsbeat interviewed gay men in the gay district of Paris, Le Marais, the results were telling.

One interviewee, Cedric said: ‘There are priorities in France other than homosexuality.

‘I myself am in a same-sex couple… But for me, there are more pressing issues like the economy, the national debt and unemployment,’ he explained.

It seems he’s not alone.

Gay Star News spoke to Alexandre Curioz, a gay man living in Le Marais: ‘The far-right is gaining voters everywhere.’

You can check the rest out here, and I highly suggest you do. It's one of those articles that I think might be predicting a trend for the future. Or maybe not. It's too soon to tell.

Same Sex Couples With Risky Futures

Speaking of the future, here's a more practical piece about how some same sex couples are taking risks with their futures and not planning ahead. Tony and I actually have two friends...a same sex couple who've been together for 25 years...and they still haven't legally married. They own property together, and mix finances. And in spite of how we've urged them to get married legally, they refuse to listen. Legalized marriage doesn't solve all the issues, but it makes things a lot better for older couples.

This is geared toward UK gay couples, but in general I think the article could be applied to US couples in the sense that you have to plan ahead.

But there are also issues you are more likely to face if you are in a gay or lesbian couple.
  • LGBTI retirement can cost more than for straight people and yet we are often less prepared for it.
  • Because fewer same-sex couples are married, fewer are protected legally. In a worse case, you may lose your home when you lose your partner because of this.
  • Inheritance tax in the UK could be a big issue and even if you are in a formal partnership, you may need extra planning to avoid a nasty shock.
Here's the rest. Inheritance tax in the US is just as bad for couples who are not legally married. I've seen older gay men lose their homes because of it.

Be prudent with your future.

Polar Bear Dies of Broken Heart After Losing Same Sex Partner

I don't know much about Polar Bears either, but this story made me think twice.

A polar bear has ‘died from a broken heart’ in San Diego’s SeaWorld Wild Arctic exhibit, claims People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.

Szenja, 21, and Snowflake, 22 have been inseparable and living in the same enclosure for the past 20 years.

The two female polar bears were separated so that Snowflake could mate with male polar bears.

You can read more here. I'm not sure what to make of these stories. I've heard people say that when they have two dogs and one dies the other is heartbroken. Of course I believe them. However, I've had two dogs and when one died the other was thrilled to get all the attention herself. She never missed the dog that died, and she slid into being an only child dog without any issues whatsoever. In fact, she seemed happier to be alone. So I think this one falls into the category of it depends.

In Their Prime by Ryan Field

Amazon







No comments: