Thursday, December 8, 2016

LGBTQ People and Mental Health Issues; Russell Tovey and the Femme Controversy; The Vatican On Gay Priests

LGBTQ People and Mental Health Issues

Here's an interesting piece that explores whether or not LGBTQ people deal with more mental health issues than straight people.

A sweeping new study by the National Alliance on Mental Illness indicates that people who identify as gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender are three times as likely to suffer from certain mental health conditions like depression, anxiety, and post-traumatic stress disorder.

I think there's definitely something to this. We grow up repressing so many emotions that straight people take for granted there has to be some repercussion.

But, we're strong, too. You can read the rest here. 

 Stepbrothers In the Attic by Ryan Field





Russell Tovey and the Femme Controversy

I must have missed this one totally. I don't remember it happening, but I could be wrong. 

Last year, the actor ruffled feathers by saying he was grateful for all the childhood bullying that cured him of being “really effeminate.”

He recently made this comment...

Things come out the way you don’t intend them to. It was a very upsetting time for me. … I learned from it and I’ve grown from it. … I’ve found you’ve just got to be true to yourself, be a good person and the work should speak for itself.”

You can read the rest here.

The comments are mixed. Evidently, a lot of people saw this. This is a tricky one because, of course, there's nothing wrong with effeminate men...gay or straight. The problem is what society expects ALL men to be. And frankly, I think that's changing for ALL men...gay and straight.

The Vatican On Gay Priests

Don't laugh (or cry) too hard when you read this one.

For the record, The Vatican still doesn’t think those of us with “deep-seated homosexual tendencies” or people who “support the so-called ‘gay culture'” should be priests.

A new statement reiterates the ban on gay priests that’s been in place since 2005, stating that those who “practice homosexuality” will not be welcomed into the priesthood.

There's a quote from the Vatican that goes into more detail. You can check that out here.

I think we should tell them it's already too late to enforce this one.   I've already posted about the two gay priests I once knew, here.  











No comments: