Wednesday, July 20, 2016

A Mean, Vicious Political Season; Looking Movie and Sex Appeal; Russell Tovey Lifts His Shirt

A Mean, Vicious Political Season

When I post things like this I'm not preaching and I'm not telling anyone what to do. You don't even have to listen to me. I'm only making a few suggestions and pointing out a few things that I've noticed on social media about this particular political season. If nothing else, the general election of 2016 is turning out to be one of the most contentious elections I've ever seen in my lifetime. Nothing really is sacred any longer.

With that said, I'm not the most political person in the world. I'm not going to post mean comments about either candidate. I will usually offer my opinion on anything LGBT related, or if it's about civil rights, but in a more general sense I try to remain objective when it comes to politics. 

And that's because I write fiction, mostly erotic gay romance, though not always. It's not that I don't have an opinion, but I'm not a political pundit, tool, or expert. There are enough people out there already who are way too willing to manipulate your thoughts and fill you with their hate speech. That's what they do for a living. That's what they are supposed to do. And if you're an author writing fiction do you really want to be one of them and not get paid for it?

I follow a few celebrities on social media and the most professional don't ever mention politics. They don't post hate speech about either candidate. They smile, they promote themselves and their projects, and they take their fans away from politics. They make people feel better about themselves, not worse. On the other hand, I've also seen a few celebrities who post some of the most hateful speech on the Internet...about politics and the candidates who are running for President this time. And it's not doing a thing to help them on social media...or anywhere. The plain truth is, according to the political polls, the US is divided almost in half this political season, which means that those people who post vicious hate speech about either candidate will run the risk of losing half their fan base. Once you lose them, the odds are you'll never get them back. I've seen that happen, too.

So if you're an author who isn't writing about politics and you're vocal about politics, maybe you should rethink that. It's only a suggestion. Look at it this way. You work hard at what you do. You invest time and money doing what you do. Your main objective is to entertain and educate people with your books and stories. Is posting hate speech about any political candidate worth hurting your career? I'm not talking about a thoughtful political comment that has insight. I don't think that can hurt anyone. I'm talking about the vicious, mean hate speech that's going around on the Internet. The kind of tweets and status updates that shame someone's looks. And I think you know what I'm talking about, too.


Looking Movie and Sex Appeal

I love the HBO TV show, Looking. And I was upset when it was canceled after only two seasons. I thought it really did...for the first time...represent a large segment of gay men who are never represented anywhere in the mainstream.

But I'm glad they decided to do a movie to tie up those proverbial loose ends.

If series creator Michael Lannan and his co-writer Andrew Haigh play their trump cards right, this finale film may be the sexiest gay movie ever made, evidenced by these six scintillating moments from the series itself.

You can check that out here. There are several photos and a trailer.


Russell Tovey Lifts His Shirt

Tovey is one of the actors who made a name for himself through Looking. And rightly so, because most people who loved the show loved his character. He's gone on to do other projects that are excellent.

Fans of Russell Tovey should consult with their doctors before admiring the British actor’s latest Instagram share — there can be dire consequences of gazing upon his flesh.

But assuming you’ve been given a clean bill of health and are willing to throw caution to the wind, Russell has something to show you.

You can see the photo here. If you don't follow him on instagram, you can now.

 
Valley of the Dudes





Unabated







No comments: