Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Star Wars LGBT Character; Maxwell Caulfield on Pre-AIDS NYC; Madonna on Women's Rights

Star Wars LGBT Character

There's going to be a lesbian character in Star Wars.

Moff Mors will make an appearance in writer Paul S Kemp's upcoming novel, ‘Lords of the Sith’, due to be released 28 April this year.

Kemp has said the character adds a 'rich diversity' to the series, intended to be inclusive but not a statement.

You can read more here. It's not the first time they've been diverse in the series, and it sounds as if they're treating it just like it's another part of the story.

Maxwell Caulfield on Pre-AIDS NYC

Maxwell Caulfield, who I think gained most of his fame from Grease 2 in the 80's, talks about what it was like being an actor in pre-AIDS New York City. 

'My cast members took me to gay discos after the show and after hours and it was pretty eye-opening,' the actor, now 55, tells Queerty.

'There was no better time in the world than the late ’70s and early ’80s,' he adds. 'Before the damned (AIDS) plague hit it was absolutely party central.'

If you missed those days...which I did...it's interesting to read about them. He even talks about tea dances on Fire Island, which I know many of you don't know a thing about. Tea Dance was, and still is in some places, a big part of gay culture. He also talks about the "Disneyfication" of New York City, which I have to agree with. Times Square is not what it used to be and unfortunately most people don't even know the difference anymore.

You can read the rest here.  

Madonna on Women's Rights

I feel like cheering or something, because I finally agree with Madonna on something, at least in a general sense. She's speaking up on women's rights, and some of her comments are spot on.

'Gay rights are way more advanced than women's rights. People are a lot more open-minded to the gay community than they are to women, period,' she said in an interview with Out magazine.

'It’s moved along for the gay community, for the African-American community, but women are still just trading on their ass. To me, the last great frontier is women.'

There's more here. I think she makes a few excellent points, and I also think we...gay people...need to start supporting women's rights a little more aggressively. It's time to payback a little.

Of course the comments with this one are a little depressing, but I don't think they represent the way most people feel. It's linked to Facebook. Need I say more. 



Small Town Romance Writer
113,000 Word Gay Romance 







No comments: