Tuesday, March 3, 2015

"Glee" Changed Public Opinions; Benham Brothers Again; Gay Flag Burns

"Glee" Changed Public Opinions

Here's a link to an article about how Ryan Murphy thinks Glee changed public opinions. I think it's an article many of us can relate to...but only to a certain extent.

I have been told that seven years ago, before Glee and Modern Family and Transparent and Orange Is the New Black, that only 18 percent of Americans believed that a gay or nontraditional family was entitled to equal rights. Today, that number has grown to 52 percent. That is a great change, that is a great victory, shockingly in such a short amount of time, but there is more work to be done.

You can read more here.

I've been critical of Glee at times and a few of the other TV shows above because I found them to be self-indulgent. But more than that, they don't always represent all LGBT people...especially those gay men who are still closeted, still without a voice, still facing discrimination, and still living with shame. A good deal of this shame comes from the stereotypes about gay men that make it harder for everyone. But in a general sense I do think Glee did help change public opinion and did help educate the mainstream in a positive way. 

I can tell you one thing for certain. I personally face insults, homophobia, and discrimination every day of my life and we have a long way to go.

Benham Brothers Again

I once posted about these two Benham brothers when they had their HGTV show yanked because their homophobic beliefs surfaced and went public.  Since then they claim gays have been waging war against Christians...allegedly. It's hard to parse this article because it's written in such a highly subjective way.

“We had so many people from the gay community reaching out to us and one man in particular from the city of Chicago reached out,” David Benham said during a panel discussion last week. “After a little conversation back and forth, I found out he loved baseball … and I got him tickets to a Cubs game. He shot me a Facebook post and said, ‘I was not expecting that — and I’ve been thinking a lot about this. I’ve chosen to walk away from my lifestyle.’”

So much about this doesn't make sense. First, it's kind of sad to think a straight man would be shocked to find out a gay man loves baseball. Maybe the comment about walking away from his lifestyle was sarcasm...because gay isn't a lifestyle.

But this is what I mean about how far we still have to go. I'm not only insulted by the Benham brothers, but by the gay person who wrote about all this. We also need to focus a little more on finding a few more professional gay journalists and not these self-indulgent cliches.

You can read more here.

Gay Flag Burns

This story is disturbing, because it shows how innocent gay people can be subjected to hate and discrimination when they least expect it. A straight guy got drunk and set their rainbow flag afire.

It was just after midnight when Ariann and Jess were woken up by some commotion; they initially thought they were being burglarized. Jess ran to check on their two girls, and Ariann made it to a window just in time to see Mayfield’s van drive off.

Already shaken, the couple heard more noise shortly thereafter, and when they looked out the window, saw Mayfield running down the street, the flag’s flames aglow in the night.

The guy who did this claims he was so drunk he didn't know what he was doing and the gay flag wasn't something he targeted in particular. But even if that is true, tell me what gay person in the world would NOT be scared to death watching something like that happen outside their home?

You can read the rest here. 

Meadows Are Not Forever









No comments: