Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Gay Family Emojis iOS; Michael Sam and the NFL; Patricia Arquette Criticized by Gays

Gay Family Emojis iOS

Apple is now doing racially diverse and LGBT family images, which is part of iOS's 8.3 update.

The new update includes emojis with six different skin tones, as well as a selection of family-based emojis which include children posing with exclusively male or female parents.  

It's an excellent idea and I wish more greeting card companies would do this. Try to imagine what it must be like to go shopping for your same sex husband for anniversaries or any significant occasion. There's not much out there.

You can read the rest here.

Michael Sam and the NFL

I posted yesterday about openly gay football player, Michael Sam, being part of the line up for the next Dancing with the Stars. I guess people have been questioning him about football and this is how he's replying:

'Football remains my unquestioned number 1 priority,' he tweeted. 'However, while I continue to train and stay ready, I am ecstatic to participate in a fun, athletic competition like so many players before me have done,'

Sam added: 'Filming this off season is very flexible and allows me to be part of the veterans combine if accepted or any other workouts.'

There's more here. I love Michael Sam for many reasons, but so far I haven't seen one thing in a gay publication mentioned about whether or not he's going to be dancing with a man in DWtS. And if he's not I don't think I'll watch this time. I know men dance with women and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I dance with women all the time. I know women dance with women and there's nothing wrong with that. But you never see two men ballroom dancing on television and that bothers me. So I can't help but think it's a bit disingenuous for Sam to go through this entire public coming out process and wind up dancing with a woman instead of a man.

There's just something very wrong about that for me. If you're gay, be gay all the way.

Patricia Arquette Criticized by Gays

When Rose McGowan made snarky comments about gay men being more interested in pride floats and skimpy bathing suits than supporting women's rights I have to admit I did get offended by what she said and the way she said it. But I'm not offended in the least by what Arquette said. I completely agree with her.

'To every woman who gave birth, to every taxpayer and citizen of this nation, we have fought for everybody else’s equal rights,' she said. 'It’s time to have wage equality once and for all. And equal rights for women in the United States of America.' 

Arquette went on to elaborate on her comments backstage, arguing that it’s time people of colour and the LGBTI community to fight for women’s rights, like women have fought for theirs. 

'So the truth is, even though we sort of feel like we have equal rights in America, right under the surface, there are huge issues that are applied that really do affect women,' she said. 'And it’s time for all the women in America and all the men that love women, and all the gay people, and all the people of color that we've all fought for to fight for us now.'

She was criticized in a number of ways for making these statements, and you can read more about them here.

This isn't the second or third time I've heard women asking for help from the gay community. And I do think many gay men like me do support them, but there are still a lot more out there who don't. And that needs to change. In case you haven't noticed, fighting for equal rights is NOT exclusive to the gay male community.


Meadows Are Not Forever 

 
 

No comments: