Saturday, January 10, 2015

Matt Bomer People's Choice; Gay Triangle Days of Our Lives; Musky Jockstraps

Matt Bomer People's Choice

Matt Bomer won the People's Choice award for White Collar and he had a few nice comments for his fans.

Bomer thanked husband Simon Halls and their three sons for their support as he commuted from their LA home to New York City where the show was filmed. 

He also thanked the show's fans for their staunch support before and after he came out publicly in 2012. 'Thank you for standing by this show… You taught me so much about love and commitment and acceptance over the years and I love you for it. 

Thank you so much for this. It’s amazing!'

It's true, you know, what he said. On my own much smaller scale as an author in genre romance it's always the readers that teach me the most and get me through so much...and they don't even know they're doing it.

You can read more here. 

Gay Triangle Days of Our Lives

I think I've admitted this before on the blog, that I'm a soap fan and have been since I was a teenager. I love the story lines and how they execute so much in such a short period of time. If I were an actor I think playing a part on a long running soap would be my dream job.

And daytime TV has always been innovative when it comes to introducing new topics to the public. This time it's a gay triangle story line on Days of Our Lives, where one character has sex with his husband's ex-boyfriend. Days of Our Lives is one that I never did follow, but it sounds very interesting now.

It's an unexpected twist that even took the actors on the show by surprise. 

'This is not the way anybody thought this story would go – least of all me,' Freddie Smith (Sonny) tells TV Guide. 'It really threw me for a loop. It’s a super-crazy twist and when Sonny finds out what Will has done, it’s going to be insane. 

It was the last thing Sonny is expecting, to have this young stud, Paul, come to town...and now this! I think it’s just incredible. Not incredible for Sonny but, as an actor, it’s amazing. It just blew me away.' 

You can read about it here. I think it's nice to see that gay characters can be real, too, in the same way straight characters have always been portrayed on soaps. 

Musky Jockstraps

I'll never forget the one time I read a review for a book I'd written where one character did something with a jockstrap...or I mentioned the jockstrap as being musky in the book. I didn't think twice about writing the scene because at the time I'd already been writing gay fiction for ten years, for a gay audience, and no one, not an editor or a reader, ever questioned me in quite that way before. The reader wrote a review about the jockstrap scene, and basically said, "Ick. It's disgusting." It was a woman reader with a name something like "Sirius" and after that I began to wonder if I'd done something wrong. Ultimately, I learned you just can't please everyone, that everyone has a right to an opinion, and not everyone understands gay men the same way gay men understand each other. It is what it is. It only becomes a problem when the gay men don't speak up often enough about it.

And when I find a gay article like this one about jockstraps, in a gay publication, I feel somewhat validated as a gay man because I know I didn't do anything wrong in my book. Sometimes we all need that. Pay close attention to this excerpt I'm quoting verbatim from the article. I don't think it can get any clearer and if you're going to read gay fiction of any kind written by a gay man you're going to run across this sooner or later. If you're going to criticize it you run the risk of looking really bad.

Male jockstraps have long been an object of fascination and desire (and sometimes even obsession) among some gay men. Jockstrap fetishism is defined by the all-knowing Wikipedia as “the sexual arousal from handling, wearing a jockstrap, watching another put one on, or sniffing a jockstrap.”
 
A “jock sniffer” is someone who gets off by inhaling the musky, manly odors of unlaundered jockstraps. Often jock sniffers will acquire the jockstraps through swapping their used ones with other like-minded individuals or by stealing them from locker rooms.

And there you are. You might not like it, but it's a reality that I didn't create. Frankly, I'd rather not sniff jockstraps myself. It's just not my thing and I can live a full life without doing it, not even if the jockstrap belonged to a hot guy like Trevor Donovan. But there are gay men who appreciate this sort of thing and I'm not about to question them. In fact, I support them.

The rest is here, with photos. Warning: if you find this to be "ick-worthy," don't click the link.  

Fangsters
 
 









No comments: