Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Gay Victims of Holocaust; Michael Urie on Gay TV Sex; Mark Ruffalo Wins Sag Award for Normal Heart

Gay Victims of Holocaust

I remember the first time I ever heard about gays and the Holocaust. Because my generation didn't live through it I only know what most people know through media, films, and the most commercial books released. And I knew nothing about gays and the Holocaust until I read an article in the 1990's about how gay people were treated. It's something we don't hear about often enough...mainly because the media's history of covering up and downplaying anything gay related has always been so prevalent.

Human rights campaigner, Peter Tatchell, writes about it here:

'We must exterminate these [homosexuals] root and branch...We can't permit such danger to the country; the homosexual must be entirely eliminated.' 

With these chilling words, the head of the SS, Heinrich Himmler, set out the Nazi master plan for the sexual cleansing of the Aryan race. 

Heinz F was a care-free young German gay man in the early 1930s. He had no idea of what was about to happen. 'I didn't fully understand the situation,' he admitted with pained regret. One morning, out of the blue, the police knocked on his door. 'You are suspected of being a homosexual,' they told him. 'You are hereby under arrest.' 

It's a fascinating piece and the rest is here. I highly suggest reading it when you have a moment to spare.

In semiotic terms...signs and symbols representing something within a culture...the pink triangle is what the Nazis made homosexuals wear to distinguish them from heterosexuals. It's become a significant symbol still worn today to show protest. You can read more here.

Michael Urie on Gay TV Sex

Openly gay actor, Michael Urie, spoke up about gay sex on TV. He has some fairly strong words.

'I don’t think it’s overexposed. If gay sex on TV is too much for you, change the channel and don’t watch it, it’s not for you.' 

Urie was asked about the topic by NewNowNext in light of Billy Crystal's comments last week about gay scenes on TV today 'going too far.' 

Says Urie: 'I think there is far too much football on TV. But I’m not going around saying they should take football off the air; I’m changing the channel.'

Even though I "get" where Urie is coming from, I think his argument is weak and it makes the rest of us look a little dumb. I guess he didn't show up for debate practice in college on a regular basis. The problem with his argument is that you can't compare sex to football and expect to be taken seriously...apples to oranges. There are a lot of people out there who think there's already too much sex in general on TV...gay and straight. I'm not one of them, but in the same respect I don't think it was the wisest move to compare sports to screwing. 

You can read the rest here. I'm not even commenting in Billy Crystal or what he said. It was gayface the made Billy Crystal a star. If it hadn't been for Billy Crystal playing gayface early in his career in the TV show, Soap, he wouldn't even be on the fucking map. For the record, his character on Soap was the MOST insulting gay clown and court jester stereotype ever to hit television.And yet at the time it was significant because there were NO gays on TV.

Mark Ruffalo Wins Sag Award for Normal Heart

To show that not all straight actors who play gay roles are atrocious, this announcement is something I believe is well-deserved...and so long overdue I'm ecstatic. Mark Ruffalo, who I think owned his part and took the entire film for himself, recently won a SAG Award for playing AIDS activist, Ned Weeks, in The Normal Heart. It's one of the best portrayals I think I've ever seen.

Ruffalo played writer and AIDS activist Ned Weeks in the film based on the play by Larry Kramer. The character of Weeks is a fictionalized version of Kramer.

The award was accepted on Ruffalo's behalf by presenters Jared Leto and Lupita Nyong'o since the actor did not attend the ceremony at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles.

Julia Roberts, Ruffalo's co-star and fellow producer on the film, later took the stage to present another award and dispensed with her prepared remarks to praise Ruffalo's acting abilities and to say 'I am so absolutely tickled to my toes that he won tonight.'

If anyone in Hollywood ever deserved to win an award, it was Mark Ruffalo. And, I think it's important to note that during promotion and marketing for The Normal Heart, Ruffalo didn't say or do one stupid insulting thing with regard to playing a gay character...unlike Matt Damon and a few others I could mention. He truly is the best. And I say that because we're still living in times when we get slapped in the face daily. At least Ruffalo didn't slap us, too.

Here's the rest.

Chase of a Lifetime
 




No comments: