Monday, December 22, 2014

TLC TV Gay Mormon Men; Cheap Undies Christmas Underwear Party; Jesse Tyler Ferguson On Gayface

TLC TV Gay Mormon Men

Evidently, gay Mormon men don't consider themselves gay because they're married to women...or have girlfriends. There's a new TLC TV show airing on the topic. Once again, reality TV; it is what it is.

I'm not going to try to figure this one out. Here's an excerpt:

This January, The Learning Channel is set to air My Husband Is Not Gay," a show that features openly gay Mormon men who date and marry women. Apply palm directly to forehead. The show features three men who are supposedly happily married to women despite being gay and one single gay dude, looking for a nice woman to settle down with. 


The very existence of this series indicates the need to address the general bigotry surrounding a man understanding his sexuality as a hindrance, something to "overcome" with faith in god, and forcing himself into a relationship with a woman to whom he's fundamentally not a attracted. The fact that (as Towleroad points out) the Mormon Church just reiterated its opposition to same-sex marriage in April, stating that succumbing to homosexuality is a sin, makes this even more disturbing.

Of course I agree with the last paragraph. It is bigotry and homophobic. And what this does to women is as bad as what it does to gay men. However, again, it's also reality TV and I have never once heard of reality TV that wasn't staged for exploitation and sensationalism. In other words: think James "Flacco" on social media.

Just to be clear. I do know and understand there are gay men married to women and they have good marriages. This show doesn't seem to be about that. This is something different altogether, which, unfortunately, also diminished yet another segment. 

Cheap Undies Christmas Underwear Party

There's a company that sells cheap underwear...www.cheapundies.com. I think I've posted about them here before. I'm one of their best customers. I really do love them and I truly have made several purchases there this past year. Now they have a video out that's a Christmas underwear party. 

Colby Melvin kicks off the CheapUndies holiday video by explaining that instead of sending out Christmas cards, he decided to invite some friends over to make a “holiday card, come to life.” In underwear, obviously.

It quickly becomes a showcase of Colby’s friends performing a variety of acts. Also in their underwear, obviously.

There's a video you can check out here. As I said, I love the undies...and they are cheap. You'll love the video...make you happy :)

Jesse Tyler Ferguson On Gayface

I don't even know how many times I've posted about sitcom Modern Family, how I don't watch it, and why I don't watch it for specific reasons. I'm not going to link to that, but if you do a search on the blog you'll find a few posts.  One of the actors who plays a gay character, and who is gay in real life, reacted to a comment another actor recently made on Facebook:

Modern Family star Jesse Tyler Ferguson responding to out actor Tuc Watkins‘ Facebook post in which he said “I have a hard time laughing at the gay guys. In fact, I kinda cringe. It feels a little bit like the gay equivalent of ‘blackface.’”

I don't even know who Tuc Watkins is. Ferguson responded this way to the facebook post:

Sorry you feel that way Tuc. I know lots of guys who are just like Cam and lots of guys who are just like Mitch. We can’t be expected to represent every gay person. We can only represent these two people. Also, Mitch is basically a version of me…so I never know how to take it when people say that he is stereotypical. And in defense of Cam, I still can’t figure out how a clown & football coach who also happens to be gay is a stereotype. When all is said and done, it’s a family sitcom. I feel our writers do a fantastic job of servicing 11 characters each week in just 22 minutes. I am incredibly proud to play Mitch and I have a lot of pride in our show. As a closeted kid of the ’80s I would have loved to have had a show like Modern Family to watch with my parents. It would have meant a lot to me to see who I secretly was reflected on television. TV has come a long way and it continues to forge new ground. I am thrilled with the work that you did on Desperate Housewives. It opened the door for shows like ours and hopefully we can hold that door open for many more shows to follow us. At the end of the day we can’t please everyone..and we shouldn’t try to. Kinda just like life, right? Take care. Jesse Tyler Ferguson.”

There are a few things I can't dispute. Ferguson is right. He can't represent every gay man on the planet, and I want to make it clear I actually do support the show...as a comedy/parody of sorts. I don't watch it, but I'm glad it's on TV. In the same respect, I was also a kid growing up in the 80's and watching two gay men like the two on Modern Family would have been my worst nightmare, and would have kept me in the closet even longer. I can't identify with either of them at all. And there's nothing wrong with that. Not every straight person can identify with every straight character on TV. However, let's balance things out a little for the gay men who don't feel represented by the gay characters we see on Modern Family. That's when things to become stereotypical.

But, again, Modern Family is comedy. Not meant to be taken seriously...I hope. We seem to be losing our sense of humor more and more these days.

Here's the link. 


Chase of a Christmas Dream
 
 









No comments: