Sunday, December 7, 2014

Gay Public Cruising; 8 Gay Christmas Events; Acting Gay For Money

Gay Public Cruising

This is really an article about guards being hired at a health club in Austria to keep gay men from cruising in a sauna. But I think it's interesting, from a cruising POV alone, to talk about these things once in a while and bring them out in the open...so to speak.

Employees at Parkbad Fitness Center in Linz, Austria are sick and tired of dealing with guys getting it on in the sauna, so they’ve decided to do something about it.

The center has hired “undercover enforcement officers” to hang out inside the hot room and keep their eyes peeled for any patrons who may be up to no good.

Sounds like nice work, if you can get it.

It's something that happens in saunas, rest rooms, parks, and anywhere there's a hint of the element of danger involved. In the past I think there was a logical excuse for this kind of cruising. Gay men had nowhere else to go. In many cases they still don't. I get that. But for the most part I'm starting to get annoyed with it myself. I run every morning at a park right here in Bucks County, PA, just outside of New Hope. And at least once or twice a week there's someone there who isn't shy about why he's there, if you get my drift. And frankly, I find it really irritating to be put in that position...and I'm GAY. The only thing you can do with these guys is never make eye contact. Once you do, it's all over and they'll never leave you alone.

This, of course, doesn't include gay bathhouses, or other places strictly gay oriented. I'm talking about public places where people only want to go for a walk or a run or whatever, not get eye-raped by some pushy guy groping himself in public.

You can read the rest here. Once again, I didn't read the comments first before I posted mine. But the comments seem to agree with me...at least some.

8 Gay Christmas Events

Here's another one of those Queerty advertorials promoting travel to gay San Francisco. It' does list 8 events, but it's not actually news. Some look like fun.

If You’re a Fan of Peppermint Patty
…then you’re in luck, Chuck! The “Peanuts” gang is paying a visit to the San Francisco Symphony (Dec. 19 – 24) for a stunning, live-action performance “A Charlie Brown Christmas”. Get ready for some jazzy tunes, dazzling vocals and mesmerizing animated backgrounds—and, of course, a feel-good holiday story.

You can read the rest here. It kind of reminds me of a tweet I saw this weekend. Someone tweeted about how gays spend Christmas and about fifty gay men replied with something like this: "Just like everyone else."

I wish someone would do a Cindy Lou Hoo party.

Acting Gay For Money

This one is a little confusing at first, so I'm quoting verbatim so I don't screw it up.

 Rather often these days, a self-identified “straight” public figure will be caught acting rather, well, “gay.” Maintaining a Grindr profile, for instance. Soliciting sex in a public restroom. Or being snapped by paparazzi getting cozy with another dude on the beach. And when this occurs, you can bet the man who is caught, ahem, red handed, will quickly come up with an explanation (rationalization?) for the behavior.

I see even more happen on social media that's not mentioned in the article...many times. I also see gay men aggressively approach straight public figures in dubious ways insinuating the public figures are gay for no valid reason at all. But I wouldn't touch these things for any amount of money in the world. It's too risky and too hard to prove, and that's because being called gay to these people is as bad as being called a mass murderer. It's really a very sad commentary in a general sense, to assume there's something wrong with being gay and to go on that kind of defense.

But it happens time and again. Merv Griffin? The biggest closet case of the 20th century next to Mayor Ed Koch...both went to their graves claiming they were not gay. I posted about this one, Ben Hobson, last month.

“I was drunk”: Ben Hobson and those pesky bipolar genes
The married father of two had everyone in tears when he shared his emotional coming out story in May of this year. Then in October, he backtracked, writing on his Facebook page: “I ‘fooled around’ with a guy while drunk a year ago and thought that meant I MUST be gay. Turns out my judgement was wrong. My mom must’ve passed down her bipolar genes onto me, but to a whole other level.”
A lapse in judgement as a result of inebriation and bipolar genes inherited from his suicidal mother. Classy.

My argument with all this always remains the same. There should be no shame or stigma ever attached to being gay, and no need to lie, make up excuses, or become aggressively defensive. That's called homophobia, especially if you really are gay. That's getting into self-loathing territory. The only way to change this pattern for everyone is to stop hiding out. I know many who wish they'd come out sooner, but none who ever regretted coming out in the long run.


The rest are here. 


Chase of a Christmas Dream
 
 

No comments: