Saturday, November 1, 2014

Gay 8 Year Old's Murder; "Ladies, Ladies Ladies" M/M Romance Post; "Looking" Character You Love

"Gay" 8 Year Old's Murder

I don't normally post twice on weekend but a few things have been sticking with me and I won't be able to get them out of my head until I do post. First, this story about a guy who turned down a plea deal after murdering an 8 year old boy who was perceived to be gay sickens me.

Court documents made public in August revealed that Gabriel was doused with pepper spray, forced to eat his own vomit and locked in a cabinet with a sock stuffed in his mouth to muffle his screams.

Testimony also indicated that Gabriel was beat with bats, a club which knocked out his teeth, was shot with a BB gun, and was whipped with the metal part of a belt over eight months.

His siblings said Gabriel was often called gay, punished because he played with dolls and was forced to wear girls’ clothes to school.

Does it get any worse than that? You can read the rest here. 

"Ladies, Ladies, Ladies" M/M Romance Post

There's been an interesting discussion over at a review blog I'm not that familiar with about m/m romance. In short, a gay male author wrote a guest post titled, "Ladies, Ladies, Ladies," and even though it was supposed to have been written in jest many took it seriously and the satire crashed.

Why am I posting about this at all? The majority of my hits here on the blog come from random google searches and I thought it would be interesting to share this with the ten thousand random readers I get each week through search engines. That's relatively small compared to bigger blogs, and I'd prefer to keep it that way, but I also like to see other gay men made aware of things like this. So many gay men don't even know there is a genre called m/m romance they often stand there gaping at me when I mention it at parties. 

In any event, the post I'm talking about contained a few "hot" topics about gay men, and men in general, that several people didn't take well. Keep in mind that when I post on topics like this I'm doing it as a blogger and I try to remain objective.  Here's one quote that seemed to spark more than a few comments:

So, ladies, quit trying to project your Venus side onto your Mars guys, gay or straight. We’re a totally different breed. And when you start to poo-poo that insta-love thing, just remember that men are pigs and go with it, but for god’s sake, quit complaining about it.

You can read the rest here. As always, the comments are important to read in full to see what I'm talking about. I really don't want to quote anyone because I'm not taking any sides. The line seems to be drawn down the middle with those who support the post and those who found it offensive.

"Looking" Character You Love

I think the thing I love most about the TV show "Looking" is that it breaks many of the old stereotypes. Yes, there are still a few, but sometimes stereotypes are real and they can't be ignored. However, with "Looking" we're finally getting to see how real gay men live, and how they think and feel. Even though it's fiction, gay men like me finally have something with which they can identify, because I can tell you first hand I've never been able to identify with the gay characters on TV shows like Sex and the City.

This article wants to know which character in "Looking" you'd like to hang with, gay men:

Is there anything more comforting than chatting with a trusted friend over a frosty mug of your favorite brew? Well, OK, maybe we can think of one or two things, but let’s not digress. We’re huge fans of HBO’s Looking, yet we’re aware the dramedy has evoked polarizing opinions from viewers. (We’ve read your comments, folks.) Whether you love it or don’t, you have to admit that the series features one of most esthetically-pleasing casts on television. We’re wondering which character you’d most like to see peering at you from across a table for two in the heart of the Castro.

You can check out the characters here. I'm torn between Patrick and Lynn.


Ring My Bells by Ryan Field





.99 Gay E-book











No comments: