Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Gay Family Circle; Michael Sam Cut From Cowboys; Downton Abbey Gay Cure; Ariana Grande On Catholicism and Gay Brother Frankie

Gay Family Circle

I received one of those magazine gifts last year for Family Circle Magazine and my first thought was OMG, now I have this to throw away, too. Although I still get several print magazines, the only one I order myself is Architectural Digest and I wind up throwing the rest away. I get my news...and everything...online. I also never see anything LGBT related in mainstream publications and the content doesn't interest me. Plus, the last thing I need in my life is more clutter from print magazines.

However, as I was glancing through the most recent issue of FC, I noticed a feature story with two gay men...married with two children. The piece is in a new section of FC, titled "Modern Life," with a caption on the first page that reads, "Our biggest challenge? Finding time to sit down to dinner together!" There's a photo of two perfect gay dads, with their two perfect kids, that could have been a photo of Ozzie and Harriet 60 years ago.

I can't find an online link to the magazine, but I did find this piece about the new "Modern Life" section in FC.

A new “Modern Life” feature, which highlights nontraditional families, marks perhaps the biggest leap forward for the magazine’s content. “I didn’t think we were doing the best job of addressing all the different types of families,” admitted Fears. “We thought shows like Modern Family were actually doing a better job.”

Ironically, last night I was catching up with the TV show, Modern Family, on demand. I'm still not a huge fan of the show in a general sense, but I can't say that I don't find it interesting to see how they continue to mainstream gay people into society. I don't talk much about assimilation here on the blog, and that's mainly because I don't think it's possible to avoid this kind of assimilation anymore. With the equality we've been fighting for all this time there comes a price, and with that price comes changes in gay culture as we've always known it. In other words, you're not going to see or hear anything about drag shows, prison parties, Sunday afternoon tea dance, or anything even remotely related to gay culture on TV shows like MF or in magazines like FC.

And I think many gay people crave this heteronormative lifestyle. So why shouldn't FC put up a stupid, ridiculous feature with two gay dads the same way the do with hetero people? They've been doing this for years with hetero people and making fools out of them. It's only fair we get our turn now.

You can read more here about Family Circle, if you find that sort of thing interesting. 

 Michael Sam Cut From Cowboys

This one bothers me. The Dallas Cowboys cut openly gay pro football player, Michael Sam from the practice team, after being there since 9/3 and never making the 53- man roster. Previously, he was cut from the SL Rams.

 'Sam, the first openly-gay player in the NFL, was a seventh-round draft pick of the Rams,' the statement continued. 'He spent all of the offseason and training camp with the St. Louis before being released and signed to the Cowboys’ practice squad.' 

The team noted the spot will be filled by linebacker Troy Davis, a second-year professional. 

Sam used Twitter to thank the team. 'I want to thank the Jones family and the entire Cowboys organization for this opportunity, as well as my friends, family, teammates, and fans for their support,' he wrote

You can read more here. Sam goes on to make a gracious comment, without a hint of bitterness. He plans to continue his career as a pro player.

There's not much more about this story yet, and it seems as though no one wants to even touch the subject. I wonder why. Maybe they should all start reading Family Circle's "Modern Life" section of at the NFL.

Downton Abbey Gay Cure

One of the things I enjoy most about historical shows like Downton Abbey is the way we can reflect on the idiocy that was supposed to be correct back in those days. I was watching The Knick last night and the cure for a drug addiction was giving the addict heroin. I'm not joking about that. And in the upcoming season of DA the gay character, Thomas Barrow, is supposedly going to get injections that will cure him from being attracted to men. The word gay wasn't used until the 1970's and I hate using it in reference to same sex situations prior to that.

Julian Fellowes said in an interview with ITV, 'He falls for the quackery that this can be cured, that he can get rid of this dumbbell he is dragging around with him. His fortitude takes him through a period of incredible physical discomfort.' 

'The result he seeks is impossible – it’s not to be obtained by any medical treatment, it was just quackery.'

Unfortunately, there are still quacks out there who believe gays can be cured.

You can check out the rest here.  

 Ariana Grande On Catholicism and Gay Brother Frankie

Pop singer, Ariana Grande, disclosed that she renounced her Catholic roots in support of her openly gay brother, Frankie Grande. For those who don't know, Frankie is a talented performer who was recently on Big Brother this past summer. I can't recall the name of the play, but he just landed a new gig on Broadway.

 'When my brother was told that God didn’t love him I was like, "OK, that’s not cool,"' she said in an interview with Sunday Telegraph magazine. 

'They were building a Kabbalah center in Florida so we both checked it out and really had a connection with it.' 

She said since renouncing Catholicism for Kabbalah, her life has changed for the better.

Although no one in our families has done anything similar, Tony and I are non-practicing Catholics for the same reasons Ariana left the church. If we ever decided to adopt a child I would want him/her to grow up with some kind of religion, but it wouldn't be Catholicism. I know most practicing Catholics do support gays, and I even know a few priests who do, too. But the big picture is more important in a case like this.

One thing is certain, you never have to wonder why the Catholic church seems to be losing people as each year passes.

You can read the rest here.

 Ring My Bells by Ryan Field


.99 Gay E-book



'Sam, the first openly-gay player in the NFL, was a seventh-round draft pick of the Rams,' the statement continued. 'He spent all of the offseason and training camp with the St. Louis before being released and signed to the Cowboys’ practice squad.'
The team noted the spot will be filled by linebacker Troy Davis, a second-year professional.
- See more at: http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/michael-sam-cut-dallas-cowboys-practice-squad211014#sthash.FqoyQOeJ.dpuf

No comments: