Saturday, September 13, 2014

Facebook Targeting Drag Queens; 5 Pro LGBT Songs; Jason Gould Sings; Nick Jonas Nude

Facebook Targeting Drag Queens

One day you hear how pro-gay Facebook is, and the next you hear that Facebook is donating large sums of money to anti-gay politicians. I wish Mr. Zuckerberg would figure out where he stands on this issue, especially because so many gay people are supporting Facebook. This time there's been talk that Facebook is allegedly targeting drag queens by forcing them to use their legal names. Facebook is asking for legal names? If Facebook asked for everyone to use a legal name not only would they lose more than half their profiles, but the stock would plummet.

In a frankly creepy overreach of authority, Facebook is going after sisters and drag queens, requiring that they use their “real names” or else risk getting booted from the site. In some cases they’ve requested users send in a copy of their drivers license to prove a name is legit.

The issue was brought to our attention by San Francisco drag personality Sister Roma, who has been forced to change her personal profile to Michael Williams — a name few even know.

You have to love the hypocrisy here...if this is true and if Facebook is actually doing this. I happen to use my real name on FB, the name everyone in my personal life knows me as, but most people don't. So where FB gets off forcing one small group to use a legal name and ignores the majority of its users is really about as good as it gets. They should simply recognize that their web site is based on lies, thrives on lies, and actually works fairly well because of these lies.

You can read more here.

5 Pro LGBT Songs

I'm reaching the end of another new gay romance and I've been doing some light research for pop/country music about gay people, for gay people, only designed for gay people. Thinks of it this way. The song, When a Man Loves a Woman, being turned around to this, When a Man Loves a Man...or When a Woman Loves a Woman. I can just hear the anti-gay group, Million Moms, groaning now.

My research is only light because I personally haven't heard much in the way of that kind of gay pop or country music coming from the hetero dominated music industry. But we do have pro LGBT songs. I get that, and I'm linking to an article that lists 5 of them right now. One of my personal favorites is Brave. I listen to a lot of satellite in the car, especially The Blend, and even though I love Brave I actually didn't know it was LGBT oriented, for lack of a better phrase, until I just read this article.

As for the best coming-out anthem of 2013, Sara Bareilles’ joyful hit pop single “Brave,” from her 2013 album The Blessed Unrest, is it. Influenced by a friend’s struggle to come out of the closet, the Grammy-nominated song has a hook made punchier by Bareilles' belting out, “Let the words fall out/Honestly, I wanna see you be brave.” The song’s video, directed by actor Rashida Jones, features Bareilles and people of all backgrounds dancing their asses off. “I think there’s so much honor and integrity and beauty in being able to be who you are,” Bareilles told The Advocate.

I love that they did this. I love the song. But it's still not When a Man Loves a Man. And that's what my character in the upcoming Glendora Hill book is talking about when he states openly he only writes LGBT music with which gay people can identify...with having to imagine it. This would only work in fiction, and even I'm stretching the idealism.

You can read more here. Yes, there are a few more songs gay people can identify with if they stretch things, however, there's not much in the way of a full fledged song or music video with two gay men singing about the love they share for each other. As least I haven't found one yet. I'm not counting the Steve Grand song because he's going indie, and I love that he's doing this. I'm talking about the mainstream music industry, especially pop country western.

This isn't the main focus of my book, but it does define the main character to a certain extent, which includes his strong sense of gay pride.

 Jason Gould Sings

I even hate to mention this because I think it defeats Jason Gould's main purpose...and I am a huge fan of his. But it's worthy of mention. Jason Gould is the son of Barbra Streisand, and I saw him perform a duet with his mother on a back to Brooklyn special earlier this year. I had no idea he was so talented, and he claims he always kept out of the music business because of his mother and not wanting to be compared to her.

'It was not something I really thought I would ever do because my mother's such an icon. I thought, "I can't open my mouth. People would compare me and I just didn't think I'd ever want to go there.

'But I also had a need to express myself and explore my own musicality.'

You can read more here, where there's a video. He's actually very good. Gould is also openly gay and has been for quite some time. He's also easy on the eyes. If I were him I'd be recording gay love songs...a man singing to a man, and seriously this time. Not the insulting comedy routines. What does he have to lose?

Nick Jonas Nude

There's a new TV show coming out with Nick Jonas, and they claim he'll be nude.

Never let it be said that Nick Jonas doesn’t give the people what they want. Following a recent evening of flashing his abs in gay bars, the entertainer stopped by Bravo’s Watch What Happens Live to share some exciting news. Jonas revealed he’ll be naked in his new DirecTV series Kingdom and the storyline revolves around homosexuality, causing Andy Cohen, like the rest of us mere mortals, to mark the days in his calendar until the show’s premiere.

You can check out a video here where he talks about it. Actually, it's kind of stupid...the video clip. And I have no idea if he'll do male full frontal nudity. We all know how that goes. I'm not even sure how people will see this show if they don't have DirecTV. But I thought it was worth mentioning for those who might be interested.


Second Chance Series: Amazon Links .99 gay e-books
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments: