Saturday, August 16, 2014

No Gay Sex: George R.R. Martin; Sex Culture: Queer as Folk; Gay Texting: Mike Alvear

No Gay Sex: George R. R. Martin

George R.R. Martin, author of A Song of Ice and Fire, which is the book series upon which Game of Thrones is based, was asked why his books don't have any gay sex scenes even though they are filled with straight sex scenes. His reply is actually about as professional as it gets. He writes each chapter from one character's POV in the first person and he claims none of these characters are gay and it wouldn't work for that reason.

"I'm not going to do it just for the sake of doing it. If the plot lends itself to that — if one of my viewpoint characters is in a situation, then I'm not going to shy away from it — but you can't just insert things because everyone wants to see them."

Fans have written him about having more m/m sex scenes.

"It is not a democracy. If it was a democracy, then Joffrey would have died much earlier than he did."

I don't follow his books or Game of Thrones, so I can't comment on the content at all. But the article to which I'm linking isn't too thrilled with his answer. And I take exception to this. As a gay writer who often writes novels where each chapter has a character with a different POV, I find that I have to remain true to the character.

But more than that, in my books I don't see how writing straight sex scenes into any storyline I've ever written would help the book or move the story forward. And that's what sex scenes are supposed to...add to the story and/or move the story forward. Frankly, I don't even like the fact that a author of this article is asked Martin a question like this. It also shows how little this author knows about writing.

I find Martin's answer plausible and honest and genuine. You don't just write gay sex scenes for the sake of doing it, especially during a time when too many are already gay baiting, exploiting gays, and using gay content for monetary gain.

You can read the rest of the article here.

Sex Culture: Queer as Folk

Russell T. Davies who created the UK Queer as Folk is planning to do a new show called Tofu. It's about sex culture and the premise sounds interesting.

Russell T. Davies, who penned the original British installment of "Queer as Folk," has announced plans for "Tofu," an eight-part series about modern sex culture, according to The Independent.

On Red Productions' website, director Benjamin Cook describes "Tofu" as a "light-hearted documentary series" about "good sex, bad sex, real-life sex. Smut, basically."

I remember watching the US version of Queer as Folk and liking it when it first came out. But then I watched the UK version and absolutely loved it. It's hard to compare the two. They were both good and came around at just the right time in gay culture because gay men were desperate for it. Up until then, we had nothing but dark depressing stories. And there's nothing wrong with dark depressing stories, but a little fun is okay, too.

You can read more here.

Gay Texting: Mike Alvear

I see articles all the time and pass on them because they are so stupid. But sometimes I come across one that is so colossally idiotic I can't pass on it for that very reason...idiotic because it's funny. In this case it's a piece by someone named Mike Alvear. I think he's being funny. I hope he's being funny. I can't imagine anyone taking this seriously because this stuff is so funny...and even a little warped.

Get this:

Of course, it isn't you he's testing; it's your typing. Do your texts make him laugh or reach for the Rolaids? You are constantly being assessed by the content of your texts (just as you're assessing his). In fact, your texts are pretty much your defining characteristic until you talk on the phone or hang out somewhere real.

Now THAT'S the kind of pressure we all want to hear in an already stressful situation.

But it gets better. He suggests you have pre-made, go-to texts for every occasion. In the article to which I'm linking he only gives a few examples, but there's a link there where I found a few more.

I got kicked out of Barns and Nobles cuz i put all the bibles in the fiction section.

“Lose 5 Pounds in 5 days”. My upbeat view of abortion

I'm going to state the obvious again...I think. It's supposed to be funny...I think. Unfortunately, someone who left a comment didn't get the joke...which, of course, made it even funnier.

You can read more here.


The Sheriff and the Outlaw
 
by Ryan Field
 
 
 
 
 
 
 




No comments: