Monday, August 18, 2014

Gay Christian Rock Star; GOP super PAC Gay Rights; Pregnant Man; Most Transphobic Article Ever;

Gay Christian Rock Star

A gay Christian rock star who recently came out claims she tried all kinds of outrageous things to help cure her of being gay. When you read about some of the hell she put herself through because she thought she was a sinner, you'll sit there gaping. However, as extreme as this is, I think we can all relate to this in one way or another. If there's one thing I've never seen it's a gay man or woman who came out with a great big smile and said, "That was so easy."

It was torture.

Now, Christian musician Vicky Beeching wants her fans to know the truth about who she really is—and perhaps, inspire some to reexamine their convictions.

“I’m gay,” the songstress said. “What Jesus taught was a radical message of welcome and inclusion and love. I feel certain God loves me just the way I am.”

This is the type of thing I've been hoping to see happen. Trust me on this, she's not the only gay Christian and I have feeling we'll be hearing about a lot more in the future.

You can read more here.


 GOP super PAC Gay Rights

Although I've never been political, as a long time blogger I find these things interesting from a human interest POV. Especially these days where I see so much hate coming from both sides of the political spectrum on social media...and it's not always about LBGTI issues. So when I see an article like this one, a piece that talks about how there's a GOP super PAC spending time and money to help gay rights issues move forward, I think it's not only important to post about it as information, but also interesting to examine from a cultural POV. I hear a lot of talk about breaking gay stereotypes and this one sure does it.

 A Republican group tied to hedge fund billionaire Paul Singer plans to spend at least $2 million up to Election Day to boost congressional candidates who share its views in favor of gay rights.

This is interesting, too.

"For many years, there's been a huge fear from Republican elected officials that if they showed courage on issues like this, would they be able to survive politically?" Cook-McCormac said.

"What American Unity PAC is committed to doing is ensuring that as these courageous elected officials follow their conscience and do the right thing, that there is a political network in place that's there to defend them."

As I said, I'm not very political and I don't know where something like this will lead. But I'm not all that shocked to read about it either. I know more than a few LGBTI Republicans...all closeted Republicans (out as gays) and terrified to actually admit it aloud for fear of the backlash they might have to deal with from others in the LGBTI community.

Not only are we living in interesting times, the times continue to change when we least expect them to.

You can read more here. Are they using us...the gay vote? I'm not sure about that yet. Breaking stereotypes about the gay vote hasn't been discussed anywhere yet as far as I know.

Pregnant Man

The world's first pregnant man is now allowed to divorce his wife. Prior to that, another ruling stated he was in a same sex marriage and couldn't file for divorce. A judge stated that because he was a trans man and able to give birth he was in a same sex union, which are banned in Arizona.

Then this happened:

However, a three-judge panel of the Arizona Court of Appeals overturned the decision, concluding that Beatie’s marriage was not a same-sex union and is thus considered valid in the state.
 
David Michael Cantor, Beatie’s attorney, welcomed the decision, saying: ’The state of Arizona has officially recognised him as a man and that his marriage was valid, and because his marriage was valid, his kids were born in wedlock, which is important to him.

You can read more here. He obviously identifies as a man, and lives his life as a man. Good for him. But I'm now wondering if this means that all trans people who marry non-trans people of the opposite sex will be considered legally married? Feel free to comment on this one...or e-mail me in private.

Most Transphobic Article Ever

I hate to see that transgender people are having such hard times these days, but I'm also glad these issues are at least making news. Up until recently, anything trans related would have been ignored...or at best, buried. In this case the link is talking about Gavin McInnes and his alleged transphobic article pubbed on Thought Catalogue.

McInnes, who also co-founded online magazine Vice, wrote a piece entitled ‘Transphobia is Perfectly Natural’, in which he justifies bigotry against the trans community by claiming tolerance is ‘sexist, misandrist, homophobic, and further damages the lives of the mentally ill.’

 In the article, he says: ‘Of course it’s fucking unusual. We’re all transphobic… They are mentally ill gays who need help, and that help doesn’t include being maimed by physicians. These aren’t women trapped in a man’s body. They are nuts trapped in a crazy person’s body.

You can read more here. The article is being referred to as the most transphobic piece ever written. It's probably one of the worst I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot from more than one wing nut like McInnes. I hope no one pays attention to him.

As a result, McInnes has left Rooster in what's being called an indefinite leave of absence.


The Sheriff and the Outlaw
 
by Ryan Field
 
 
 


No comments: