Thursday, June 5, 2014

Principal Comes Out; Long Beach Gay Mayor; Fanfic Author Gets Huge Deal

Principal Comes Out

As Gay. I just figured I would add "as gay" like the rest of them in case someone doesn't understand the phrase "coming out."

In any event, the Principal of a high school in Washington, D. C. came out in public during a gay pride event. Evidently, he's been in the closet all his life, just turned 50, and got tired of keeping it a secret.

“I want to say publicly for the first time because of your leadership, care and support that I am a proud gay man who just happens to be the principal of Wilson High School,” he said while in the school's atrium, according to The Washington Post.

He's received a great deal of support. But of course the Westboro Baptish Church is planning a protest because the school actually had a gay pride. (Are they even a real church? I'm not joking when I ask that, and I'm not being snarky. I'm Catholic and I'm not familiar with these start-up US churches that seem to come and go like fast food restaurants. We had one around here once called "The Church on the Rock" but it didn't seem to last long.)

You can read more here. I can't even imagine what it must be like to come out at the age of 50. But I'm sure this principal feels as if a huge weight has been lifted.

Long Beach Gay Mayor

The young straight guy who actually introduced me to Facebook when it was first launched lives in Long Beach, CA, and I thought about him when I read this article. I used to follow his blog daily (this dates back to 2003) until we both got busier in life. I was writing reviews and interviewing bloggers for bestgayblogs.com at the time and even though this guy was straight I thought his blog was so well executed I asked if I could interview him for the web site. He's also a school teacher and one of the most talented authors I know. Looking back now, I think it's interesting that I got to know him through blogging and I've been following his life online from the day he graduated college, to the day he married, right up to now where he has two daughters and just celebrated a milestone birthday. We've never actually met in person, but I still considered him a friend.

In any event, the mayor of Long Beach, California is openly gay and much younger than most mayors. He's making history because he's gay, Hispanic, and the youngest mayor ever to serve there.

At 36, he's the youngest mayor ever and he's the first Hispanic elected to the city's top job.

Garcia is also the first openly gay mayor in the coastal city just south of Los Angeles.

He had the high-profile endorsement of Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti. 'Thank you, Long Beach!' Garcia wrote on his Twitter page on Wednesday morning.

You can read more here. I saw someone on social media predict that we would have an openly gay President by the middle of the next decade. We've already had one closeted gay President...James Buchanan.  

I've seen people argue the point about Buchanan being gay. Please don't do that here. I'm not Dr. Phil and this isn't up for discussion.


Fanfic Author Gets Huge Deal

Anna Todd, a 25 year old One Direction fanfic author, just snagged a six figure three book deal with Simon & Schuster for After.  It was pubbed on Wattpad, a fanfic web wite, and it has millions of readers. Here's the blurb:

The story summary: “Tessa Young is an 18 year old college student with a simple life, excellent grades, and a sweet boyfriend. She always has things planned out ahead of time, until she meets a rude boy named Harry, with too many tattoos and piercings who shatters her plans.” Other One Direction members, such as Niall and Zayn, show up in the story as college frat guys.

To get a better understanding of what One Direction fanfic is check out this web site.

I find this fascinating for a number of reasons. One, S&S is actually publishing something that readers want to read. That's a novelty in itself. Two, I never thought I would see the day fanfic garnered deals like this...for those who don't know, Fifty Shades of Grey was Twilight fanfic before it was trad pubbed. Three, because the usual haters of anyone writing fanfic for money (especially big money) are coming out in droves in their clicky little twitter feeds to slam it, with that same old tired, endless song and dance of Pa-LAY-Jee-Arr- izm.

I don't believe there are any new tropes or storylines left to write...at least not any worth reading or that would appeal to the general public. If they exist, there aren't that many and would most likely appeal to the fringes. Most of what we read in books, view in films and on TV, and hear in music is just another interpretation of something that's already been done a hundred times before. It's the way in which it is done that matters most.

I read once where Nora Ephron allegedly based You've Got Mail on The Shop Around the Corner. And The Shop Around the Corner was allegedly based on something else I can't remember now. Only an asshole or an amateur would call these unique interpretations plagiarism.

I applaud Anna Todd and S&S. They're doing something right.

You can read more about the fanfic deal here.




















No comments: