Saturday, May 24, 2014

Normal Heart Review; Fake Memoir; Straight Guys on Grindr

Normal Heart Review

Although The Normal Heart hasn't even aired yet, there's already a review. For the most part, the review talks about director Ryan Murphy's past experience and his general style. In fact, it talks so much about Murphy I started to wonder if this was a review about Ryan Murphy or The Normal Heart. Eventually, after circling the proverbial airport for what seems like forever, the reviewer does get into the actual film with a few comments I expected to read.

But if you do watch the film, just be aware that every few minutes you may wish that someone -- anyone -- other than Murphy had directed it. Murphy is a self-indulgent director and not particularly rigorous or disciplined. He serves his own muse, not necessarily the needs of the material, and though it's a classic, Kramer's play is also unwieldy and outright clumsy at times.

This has always been my biggest worry about The Normal Heart movie. Self-indulgence and Ryan Murphy. I wanted to like The New Normal. I really did. But it was just too self-indulgent for me with all that politics and cliché. It seems to happen to some in Hollywood after a certain amount of success...remember Linda Bloodworth Thomason? Her show, Designing Women, reached a point where the political self-indulgence was unbearable. Most viewers agreed.

Of course I'm going to watch The Normal Heart myself tomorrow night. And I never let any review for anything sway me in one direction or another. But I do "get" this review. I just hope I find this review was a little too harsh on Murphy.

You can read the entire review here. The performances are highly praised.

If I like the movie I'll post a review next week. If I don't, I might go silent this time.

Fake Memoir

This isn't exactly new, but the ruling is new and I thought I'd post about it because it seems to happen so often. Author, Misha Defonseca, faked a non-fic story about being a Holocaust survivor in one of the THE lowest forms of publishing deception ever, and she was recently ordered to pay back the sum of $22m to her publishers.

Misha Defonseca, 76, admitted to making up the stories which appeared in her 1997 book Misha: A Memoire of the Holocaust Years, which told of how she travelled across Europe after her parents were taken by the Nazis.

Even worse: she's not even Jewish.

You can read more here.

And here's a story asking why it took so long to expose her.

Why did people take her seriously for so long? Raising questions about the authenticity of someone's Holocaust testimony, however implausible it seems, is a joyless task and one that puts you in unsavory company. In this case, however, Misha's story so strained credulity that historian Debórah Dwork ( Children With a Star) and literary scholar Lawrence L. Langer ( Holocaust Testimonies: The Ruins of Memory) raised questions about the book even before it had been published. Both had been asked to blurb Misha, and both warned the publisher that Defonseca's story was a fantasy.

That's interesting.

I think people generally want to trust and believe...they crave it. And some like the author above are just born rotten to the core and take advantage of others.

Straight Guys on Grindr

I've actually never been to Grindr. I know I should probably check it out, but it's not at the top of my priority list. But many single (and some married) gay men frequent Grindr regularly and you often hear a variety of different comments about it. This next article is interesting because it shows the reaction straight men have when using Grindr for the first time.

Almost all of them are amazed at how ‘convenient’ the service is, saying how much easier their sex lives would be if there were a Grindr for straight people.

‘Girls don’t even take their tops off on Tinder,’ one says, ‘that’s like frowned upon.’

Their sex lives might be easier, but I'm not sure they would be safer. I've posted about several violent and deadly incidents all related to Grindr hook-ups. (How can you NOT take that seriously?)

I posted about a young man from Canada who was raped and robbed in the Philadelphia area a few weeks ago after he hooked up with someone through Grindr  and now there are two more incidents in the Philadelphia area to report that are even more frightening. This time an adorable, talented young guy was murdered, and a public prosecutor was arrested for allegedly raping a sixteen year old boy...all allegedly through Grindr.

In any event, I guess I'll have to check out Tinder now.












No comments: