Saturday, May 10, 2014

Jim Parsons on Gay; Ellen Page on Jodi Foster

Jim Parsons on Gay

Jim Parsons never disclosed he was gay, but didn't hide it either. He brought a partner to events and acted as if it were perfectly normal without ever addressing his situation.

'What happened was that we were very fortunate with the show, and we started getting invited to awards shows and stuff. I had to deal with it very quickly - I mean, there was no option. I was going to take Todd. And so I had to deal with it,' Parsons tells SiriusXM Progress.

But no one asked.

'This went on for years.' Parsons said.

That is until 2011 when he was starring in the Broadway revival of The Normal Heart and doing an interview with The New York Times.

'(Reporter) Patrick Healy — and I just love this — he just (asked a question, beginning with), "As a gay man…" and I was kind of thrilled. He finally just took the information that I’d presented in front of him, and everyone, and just talked about it.'

'My recollection was hearing the question pretty calmly. That was where I found the peace about it, actually. If it’s going to be talked about that’s exactly how it should be talked about. Just something else to mention.'

That's how I did it, and a lot of others I know did it. There wasn't a big emotional coming out day, with parades and prides and rainbow flags waving.

You can read more here. Parsons will also be in the HBO film adaptation of The Normal Heart. I'll post more about that when I see it.

Ellen Page on Jodi Foster

In another piece related to coming out in a slightly different way than how Jim Parsons went about it, Ellen Page recently defended the coming out speech Jodi Foster gave at the Golden Globes a while back. Foster didn't mention certain words...gay or lesbian...which caused many of the overly ambitious zealots to go berserk over the way she did it. Page doesn't seem to find a problem with it.


But Ellen Page, who came out herself on Valentine’s Day, says give her a break in an interview with The Hollywood Reporter.

'You have no idea how hard that moment is, even though they’re not fully saying what you want them to say,' she says, addressing Foster’s critics. 'It’s not about you.'

Page's speech at a Human Rights Campaign event in Las Vegas was much more direct and emotional than Foster's remarks at the 2013 Golden Globe Awards while accepting the Cecil B. Demille Lifetime Achievement Award.

I agree with Ellen Page, and with Foster. And I'm on record with a post I wrote in 2013 right after all the criticism surfaced. In fact, Page was much kinder than I was in my little rant.

 What interests me most is that she was obviously so anxious over doing this. Don't get me wrong. That's perfectly understandable, especially considering the reactions I've read today from some of the biggest assholes on the planet. But we often tend to think of people like Jodi Foster as being so strong and invincible that nothing bothers them. The fact that she's such a great actress makes this image even stronger. So it's important to put this into perspective and try to think like a lot of the closeted gay people in the world have to think. If this was a big thing for someone like Jodi Foster just imagine what it's like for someone in a small town (or country) who doesn't know where to turn.

You can read more about Ellen Page and Foster here.

I think the one thing that bothers me the most is when some people have the unmitigated gall to tell other people how to come out, as if they have that right to dictate how it should be done. It just doesn't work that way. Not all gay people are that generic. In fact, some of us will push harder the more you pull us.




Palm Beach Stud by Ryan Field
 
 







His Only Choice by Ryan Field
 
 
 
 
 
The Preacher's Husband by Ryan Field
 
 
 


No comments: