Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Steve Kornacki Out; New Harry Potter Fiction; Sisssyboy Insult

Steve Kornacki Out

I rarely watch anything on MSNBC, but I do think it's important to post about things like this in a general sense. We often take for granted that it's simple for gay men to come out, and when they don't I sometimes hear people slam them. There's even a day set aside each year called National Coming Out Day that I've never fully supported because I've heard from some gay men it puts even more pressure on them. I personally can't even imagine setting aside a day like that to come out. The concept just passes me by. I think this story about MSNBC's Steve Kornacki is a good example of how difficult it can be to come out.

He had spent 15 years surpressing this core part of his personality before writing  a deeply personal column for Salon in the fall of 2011 that took readers into the compartmentalized world that a lot of men feel they must live in in order to have the life they want.

He told his family only the weekend before the piece was published by passing copies of the column around at lunch.
Their first words after reading it: 'We're proud of you.'

You can read more here. Kornacki gave an interview where he talks about what it was like to be in the closet, and then what it was like to come out.

Many of you may find this next quote unusual. I don't. I still think many gay men are living lives they chose to live instead of the lives they were meant to live.

'I’m not sure I would have reached adulthood with a willingness to even start exploring this side of me, and I can imagine ending up getting married to a woman, having kids, and settling down just because that was the only thing to do.'
 

New Harry Potter Fiction

Even though I don't follow anything Harry Potter because I've never actually read the books...it's not my genre...I think it's interesting that JK Rowling will be writing new installments from what's called a fictional Quidditch World Cup. I have no idea what this means. The only cup I'm interested in is the extra large one Daniel Radcliff wears when he plays sports. But I'm sure many will find this worthy of checking out.

Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling will be filing regular dispatches from the fictional 2014 Quidditch World Cup, which is “taking place” this month in the Patagonian desert. The initial updates, penned by Daily Prophet Quidditch correspondent and Harry Potter spouse Ginny Potter nee Weasley, make the faux South America-based World Cup sound far more exciting than the real one that will take place later this summer, though, depending on your opinion of soccer, that may be damning the Quidditch tournament with faint praise.

You can read the rest here. I do love Rowling's other fiction, especially The Casual Vacancy, so one of these days I'm going to force myself to read the Potter series.

Sissyboy Insult

The fascinating thing about this link is that it happened to a straight male with a wife and kids. Phone company, Sprint, allegedly called the man a "gay sissyboy" in an e-mail.

‘I expressed my concerns to them and how serious this is to me and my wife,’ he said, as reported by NBC News.

 ‘I don’t live a homosexual life, I never gave Sprint anything to go on and think that, and even if I did I don’t think it would be fair to say this on my account.’

From what I can tell, the man did not get defensive or embarrassed about being called gay. Instead, he believes what the company did was degrading in a general sense to anyone because of the language used.

You can read more here. The company has since apologized.

For those who might be interested, there's a web site, NSFW, dedicated to gay sissyboys.






No comments: