Monday, April 14, 2014

RuPaul On Transphobic Terms; Forgive Teen Bullies? Harvey Milk Stamp

RuPaul On Transphobic Terms

After I posted about an incident on RuPaul's Drag Race with respect to transphobic terms some activists found highly offensive, I didn't see anything for a while...until now. As a result of what transpired, RuPaul's Drag Race will be changing things around, and they've issued a new statement promising not to use certain terms...with an apology.

We wanted to thank the community for sharing their concerns around a recent segment and the use of the term 'she-mail' on Drag Race.

Logo has pulled the episode from all of our platforms and that challenge will not appear again.

Furthermore, we are removing the 'You've got she-mail' intro from new episodes of the series.

We did not intend to cause any offense, but in retrospect we realize that it was insensitive. We sincerely apologize.


I honestly never watch this show, so I can't comment in that respect. However, I know how powerful words, terms, and phrases can be as a writer so I choose my own words with great care all of the time. And if something can offend someone that much, I'm glad to see RuPaul's Drag Race making the effort to change things.

You can read more here.

Forgive Teen Bullies?

This article is deceiving because from the title you'd think it was going to be just another fluff piece that says the same old things. But it goes much deeper than that. It's more of an essay on bullying with several emotional parts that leave an impact.

Growing up, I degraded, dominated, humiliated, and shamed my baby brother non-stop. We fought constantly. Our mom had no idea how to make it stop or fix it, she wasn’t taught skills to help us. Based on Tony’s theory, does that mean my mom was weak-minded because her daughter was a mean big sister? Or was she a single mom, working full-time, with an ex-husband that abandoned his kids and responsibilities, barely keeping it together one day at a time? My point being, accusing an entire group of kids and adults to the fate of being weak-minded blocks any possible progress in conversation and action.

You can read more here.

Harvey Milk Stamp

When I was a kid in the 80's and I came across a documentary on PBS about Harvey Milk, I never thought that one day I would live to see a postage stamp in his honor. It really was just unthinkable at the time.

The White House announced today that it will have a dedication ceremony next month to celebrate the debut of the US postage stamp featuring slain civil rights leader Harvey Milk.

The stamp will become available to the public on 22 May which is Harvey Milk Day in California.

I've also never been too picky about what stamps I buy. But I will be going to the post office on May 22 to get my HM stamps.

You can read more here.







No comments: