Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Preacher's Husband Kindle; Steve Grand Raises $326,593; OkCupid Slams Mozilla

Preacher's Husband Kindle

My latest in the Glendora Hill series, The Preacher's Husband, is now in the Kindle store. I posted yesterday about it here, and you can check out the basic descriptions on Amazon. If anyone has questions, you can always e-mail me with the e-mail address under my bio on the side bar. I might not get back immediately, but I will get back within a reasonable amount of time.

There are more purchase links at the above link to the previous post.

Next project is another installment in the Chase of a Lifetime series.


OkCupid Slams Mozilla

OkCupid, whom I've posted about before here with regard to catfishing, put out a scathing statement today slamming Mozilla Firefox and urging users to find another browser. This is all a result of Mozilla hiring an alleged anti-gay CEO who actively donated to stop gay marriage in CA. I've actually never used Firefox, but I know I get a lot of hits from them with this blog.

‘In 2008, Mr. Eich supported the passage of California’s Prop 8, a statewide initiative to ban gay marriage, with a $1000 donation,’ the statement reads.

 ‘Granted, his contribution is now six years in the past, and people can change. But Mr. Eich’s boilerplate statements in the time since make it seem like he has the same views now as he did then. Mozilla recently promoted him to CEO, hence the issue only now coming to our attention.

 ‘His donation was known to Mozilla at the time of his promotion, and, furthermore, CEOs are rewarded based on their company’s performance. The CEO is the visionary for a company and its products.

 ‘We are sad to think that any OkCupid page loads would even indirectly contribute towards the success of an individual who supported Prop 8—and who for all we know would support it again. We wish Mozilla’s institutional commitment to freedom and openness were better reflected by their choice of leadership.’

In this case the facts seem to present themselves perfectly.

You can read more here.

Steve Grand Raises $326,593

I've posted about Steve Grand several times here, too. He started a kickstarter campaign to raise money for an album, it all went viral, and he's raised over a quarter of a million dollars.

 'What can I possibly say that sums up my feelings at this moment?' Steve said in an emotional video message thanking his supporters. 'I’m overwhelmed. Grateful beyond measure. Truly moved by what you’ve done.'

The music industry like any other industry has always had its issues with gays, especially gay country western stars because they don't fit the mold. I actually stopped watching American Idol years ago when I started to notice that a lot of the gay singers were voted off sooner than the straight singers. At the time, in most cases no one even knew if they were openly gay. But it seemed that if there was even a hint they were gay they would be voted off quicker than others. I also didn't like the gay comments Simon Cowell would make to Ryan Seacrest. They made me cringe. They were always subtle, but if you're gay you couldn't miss them. I know that sounds a little convoluted because one of their most successful contestants who has gone on to do much bigger things was openly gay. But it just bothered me that no one ever called them out on the little things.

I'd like to know how many gays actually supported Grand's crowdfunding venture. I know many who did contribute just on principle.

In any event, you can read more here.

No comments: