Friday, April 4, 2014

He Slept With 200 Men; Kevin Spacey on Gay; Arianna Huffington: Thrive

He Slept With 200 Men

I don't know why I find this fascinating. Is it because this guy claims he slept with over two hundred men? Or because he actually kept a record of it? In any event, after bedding down with over 200 men a UK man is now claiming he's been turned around, he's now straight, and he's living happily-ever-after.

The 46-year-old, who is now part of a British Christian ‘gay cure’ group People Can Change, has now written about how he was able to ‘convert’.

When he was 18, and he moved to London, he believed he had over 200 sexual partners while he was on the gay scene.

I still can't believe he kept records. After the first 50 most would have lost track. I know I would have.

You can read more here.

Kevin Spacey on Gay

This article talks about how private Kevin Spacey has always been about his life. It says he basically shuts down with anyone...or any question...regarding anything personal.

'Let's let people live their lives and do it the way they want to do it,' he tells The Reporter.

'All the chips will fall in the end, and we'll all be judged by a much higher power than Entertainment Weekly can.'

Sometimes I think this is the best time ever for C and D listers with regard to coming out of the closet and getting attention for it. Not in all cases, but in some. The fact remains that while coming out is a good thing for many, it's absolutely terrifying for some and I've heard there's more pressure than ever now.

So while I love everything Kevin Spacey has ever done in his life, I don't care if he's attracted to pink giraffes with purple polka dots. He has every right to live his private life in complete silence. It's his business.

You can read more here.

When I post like this I do it because no one else does and if by chance someone reading this realizes it's okay not to feel pressured about coming out of the closet if they aren't ready I did something positive.

Arianna Huffington: Thrive

I have to admit, in full disclosure, I'm not Arianna Huffington's biggest fan. I admire her tenacity, but also think she's so full of crap it's coming out of her freaking ears. And this next article does everything but rim her.

Arianna Huffington has had a remarkable rise from poverty to become editor of the world's second-biggest news website, the Huffington Post. And as her new book shows, it has taken extraordinary determination.

She has done many things with her life, no one can argue this. However, she hooked up with much older Bernard Levin in 1971 at the age of 21 and he allegedly helped mold her writing career. She's been a liberal, and then a conservative, and then a liberal again, depending on which way the proverbial wind blows. She's also allegedly been accused of plagiarism more than once for non-fiction books she wrote.

From Wiki:

Lydia Gasman, an art history professor at the University of Virginia, claimed that Huffington’s 1988 biography of Pablo Picasso, Picasso: Creator and Destroyer, included themes similar to those in her unpublished four-volume Ph.D. thesis. "What she did was steal twenty years of my work," Gasman told Maureen Orth in 1994. Gasman did not file suit.


In any event, she has a new book out and the author of this article seems to be drooling over HRH Arianna, to the point of making herself look ill informed.

There is something phenomenal about Arianna. As in, she is a phenomenon. Female media moguls didn't exist until she was invented.

I guess this "journalist" never heard of Katherine Graham, who controlled The Washington Post for over 20 years. She probably never heard of Lady Bird Johnson either. Mrs. Johnson bought a radio station and a TV station which made her a millionaire mogul in her day without the help of her husband...or any man who took her under his proverbial wing...Lyndon Johnson.

In any event, I guess I'll never get into the Huffington Post after this post. But then again, I'm not fond of slave labor and I don't like writing for free unless I'm writing my own blog. I think writers should get a little compensation for what they do. Arianna Huffington has certainly figured out a way to get more than her fair share of compensation in life.

From Forbes:

I used to count myself among those who thought Huffington would eventually need to start compensating writers beyond the ones on her 200-person staff. She’d need to do it, I thought, not out of a moral imperative — grownups know that other grownups are free to enter into any sorts of agreements they want, including the sort where they donate their labor to a for-profit enterprise in the belief that they’re getting something of non-monetary value out of the exchange — but out of business necessity, because eventually her most successful bloggers would leverage their Huffpo-begotten visibility into paying gigs elsewhere if she didn’t find ways to retain them.

Now that's one crafty lady. It's actually legal. Thomas Jefferson did that and he made a lot of money, too. In his day they called it slavery. I have no doubt millions will buy her new book.

As a side note, I posted recently about the blog Writer Beware and how Victoria Strauss went after some unheard of unimportant fool for shady practices in publishing. Well I want to know where Strauss is now when multi-million dollar publications are making money on the free labor of writers who will do anything to get their names in print.






No comments: