Friday, April 4, 2014

Free Gay Excerpt; Anti-Anti Gay Bullies; Adam Lambert Not Disabled



Anti-Anti Gay Bullies

This article is making the claim that Brendan Eich was pressured into resigning from his new position of CEO at Mozilla. Among many great accomplishments in his life, he co-founded Mozilla and helped conceive JavaScript language. However, he was also a large contributor to Proposition 8 in California which was designed to keep same sex marriage illegal.


Recently, he was appointed to be the CEO of Mozilla. All hell broke loose. People couldn’t believe that such a popular and progressive technology company would appoint an anti-gay activist as CEO. Moreover, he refused to apologize or comment on his donation. He claimed that his personal beliefs were “unrelated” to his role at Mozilla.

Major companies started encouraging people to not use Firefox in protest. In social media, there may as well be fire raining from the sky and dogs and cats living together.


Whether or not he was "bullied" into resigning remains to be seen. I'm not sure the word "bully" applies to something like this, at least not within the same context of other bully acts. He did receive pressure from all sides because of a strong political and social statement he clearly made of his own free will and now he's dealing with the consequences of that decision. I'm not sure it's right or wrong. Personally, I like to think I'm objective enough to tolerate his views and his ability to do his job even though I strongly disagree with them. I even admire the work he's done. But I do know one thing. If you're in the public eye and you're not a politician or someone in public service and you take a strong political or social stand in any direction these days, you'd better be prepared for the fallout. That even goes for authors like me.

There was an interview with Ben Affleck in Playboy and he made this statement: "When I watch a guy [on film] I know is a big Republican, part of me thinks, I probably wouldn’t like this person if I met him." It's been all over the web and I'm not linking to the article because Affleck is not the direct point of this post. Evidently, Affleck is not objective enough to separate his politics from the human factor in life. That statement alone tells you what kind of man he is. And unfortunately we're all dealing with this now more than ever before, and yes, in some ways it is a form of bullying. This statement by Affleck doesn't resonate with me even though I am a registered Democrat, openly gay, and married to the same man for over twenty years. It's not something I would even hold against him. And if I knew another author (or anyone) was a Republican, I wouldn't hold that against him or her either, at least not on a personal level. But most people don't think that way.

You can read more here.

The Washington Post has another article here on tolerance and intolerance with regard to Eich's story. There's nothing uncomplicated about this thing.


Adam Lambert Not Disabled

The other day I was posting about something and wanted to use Adam Lambert as a reference and went blank on his name. I couldn't remember it for anything, and I hate that because he's always been so open and honest with his thoughts and his life. He recently spoke out about being gay when people started to feel sorry for him because he's gay.

The flamboyant singer said he has received comments and tweets such as ‘it’s so sad to be gay’ and he finds the statements ‘indirectly offensive’.  

‘It ain't a DISABILITY!! It's just a disposition ya'll. the only thing that makes it "hard to deal with" is when folks be ignant bout it. Ha’, Lambert tweeted.

You can read more here. Boy George seems to think Lambert's being gay has hindered his singing career. I think there's something to that. Steve Grand had to do a kickstarter campaign to put an album together. In the post I wrote where I couldn't remember Lambert's name I was talking about how I stopped watching American Idol years ago when I started seeing male singers who might have been gay...we didn't know for sure...were being voted off for no viable reason. Most had more talent than the straight singers who remained. Yes, I know that's subjective. But it happened too many times...not to mention the awful gay jokes and innuendos that went on between Ryan Seacrest and Simon Cowell.

FREE GAY Excerpt

Here's a free excerpt from one of my backlist titles, Young, Hung, and Hitched. It's a m/m romance with a theme revolving around newlyweds who buy one of those huge expensive recreation vehicles and take off across country. It's interesting to note how much has changed in the past five years with gay marriage. At the time I wrote this, I had no idea.

I can only post a pg-rated excerpt here, but you won't be disappointed with the love scenes. And please remember this is the raw version, not the final e-book.

 
When Jordan Colby fell in love with a handsome young coastal engineer in Portland, Oregon, he knew there was a remote possibility they might eventually have to pick up and relocate someday. But he never assumed it would be the day after their wedding.

            They’d been living together as a couple for almost two years and they didn’t need a wedding. They were committed to each other, monogamous, and had settled into a comfortable routine. Gay marriage wasn’t even recognized by the federal government and meant nothing legally. But Jordan didn’t feel complete. He thought a marriage ceremony would validate their relationship and he didn’t care what the government or the churches thought. He also thought standing beside Aaron Engle in a formal suit and promising to love, honor, and cherish one man for the rest of his life was the ultimate romantic journey. He’d been dreaming about the flowers and the rings since he’d been a little boy. But he didn’t mention this part to Aaron out loud. Aaron tended to doze off whenever they watched romantic movies on TV. And if Jordan even mentioned a romance novel he was reading, Aaron would clear his throat and change the subject fast.  

After months of prodding and harmless scheming Jordan finally convinced Aaron even though a wedding ceremony wouldn’t be official in the eyes of the law, at least it would be an official commitment, or bond, between them. And no one else really mattered. He promised to keep it small and only invite their closest friends and family. And when Aaron finally agreed to a small wedding, Jordan was so excited he thanked Aaron with a blow job that left him slack-jawed for almost two days.  

They were sitting outside on their veranda the Friday night Aaron informed Jordan they were moving to New Orleans the day after the wedding, almost a month. Aaron hesitated at first, choosing his word with care. He made a point of mentioning that this had happened fast, and the timing couldn’t have been more perfect. They’d been renting a town house in Portland for two years, saving money with the intentions of buying a home of their own after they were married. As it happened, the lease on the town house was about to expire and they weren’t committed to anything. They could pick up and move wherever they wanted.  

It was a warm spring night and Jordan was wearing light beige slacks and a black polo shirt. The same morning he’d had his short dishwater brown hair highlighted and he’d been feeling blond all over all day. He’d been highlighting his hair every six weeks since he was twenty-one years old…seven years…and he was still amazed at how differently he was treated as a blond. After he left the hair salon, a good looking guy of African descent held the door open for him at the post office and sent him one of those sultry come and get it looks. After that, the rough looking teenage guy with tattoos and body piercing washed his windshield and winked. And the elderly woman at the library didn’t charge him a dime for being a day overdue.

When Aaron mentioned moving away from Portland, Jordan lifted his head and smiled. He had been feeling so good that day he didn’t think anything could bring him down. At least not until Aaron said, “I’ve been offered a job in New Orleans and I want to take it. I know we should discuss this before I officially accept the position. But I want you to know it’s not something I want to think about. I’d really like to take this job. The money is great and I’ve always wanted to work down there.”

For a minute or two, Jordan remained seated on a black iron patio chair. He folded his hands on his lap and stared down. He’d gone to college in New Orleans. After he graduated, he’d opened a small restaurant in the Treme section, catering to colorful locals and the occasional tourist who lost his way from Bourbon Street. But he hadn’t been back since the day the helicopter lifted him off the rooftop of his apartment building and carried him to the Astrodome. He didn’t like talking about New Orleans or Hurricane Katrina, and rarely mentioned anything about his former life there.

Aaron sat down next to Jordan and rested his palm on Jordon’s knee. He lifted Jordan’s chin with his other hand and said, “I know how you feel about New Orleans. I know how you hate talking about it. But I really want this job. And, frankly, I think it’s time you walked through the fire.”

This was an expression Aaron used often with Jordan. Since Katrina, Jordan had developed a few phobias that caused him to avoid certain situations. He was terrified to open his own business again, so he worked as a cook in a small out of the way restaurant. The slightest hint of a thunderstorm or a rainstorm, cause him to stammer. And he couldn’t stand the thought of heights, which ranged from refusing to fly in a plane to going above the third floor in a high rise building. None of these phobias affected his life directly. He could live a perfectly normal life by avoiding long term business commitments, rain storms, and higher elevations. But Aaron thought talking about his experience in New Orleans and facing it head on would help him overcome his fears. Aaron was like that: a take charge kind of guy who seemed to go through life with blinders. And he was forever telling Jordan he had to walk through the fire.

“It’s easy to say I have to walk through the fire,” Jordan said. Frankly, this was getting a little cliché in his opinion. “But you had to be there, Aaron. You had to actually experience what I saw in New Orleans to understand how I feel.” This time he didn’t think he was exaggerating. “When you’re hooked to a rope dangling from a helicopter and suspended over flood waters, this is big doings.”

Aaron put his arms around him and held him tightly. “Then tell me what happened,” He said. “I want to know. And I think you’ll feel a lot better if you finally let loose and talk about it.”

Jordan rested his cheek on Aaron’s chest and sighed. “I wish I could. And maybe someday I will. But not right now.” He didn’t whimper; his tone didn’t grow softer. He was resigned to the fact there were some things in life he’d never understand.

“I have to take this job,” Aaron said. “It’s just too good to pass up.”

Although Jordan knew his fears weren’t rational, he couldn’t help his emotional response. “And if I refuse to go to New Orleans does that mean the wedding is off and you’ll go without me.”

Aaron’s head jerked back and tipped to the side. He reached for Jordan’s chin and drew Jordan’s face toward his. “Of course not. I love you and I’d never give you an ultimatum like that. What I’m saying is this is the best job offer I’ve ever had and I’d hate to miss out on the opportunity. I want to do this.”

Jordan’s face softened and he gazed into Aaron’s large brown eyes. In the dim light of the veranda, with the stars above his head, his dark brown hair looked black. “What about our lives here in Portland? We have our friends and your family.” He gestured with his arms. “We have a home and I have a good job at Mickey’s.”








No comments: