Monday, April 28, 2014

Beverly Hills Hotel Protest; US Catholics on Gay Marriage

Beverly Hills Hotel Protest

The Beverly Hills Hotel, a setting I once used in one of my books without knowing this, is owned by Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah, Sultan of Brunei. The Sultanate of Brunei wants "homosexuality" declared a crime punishable by stoning. As a result many are calling for a boycott of the Beverly Hills Hotel and the entire chain.

US actress Beth Grant, who is currently appearing on series The Mindy Project, supported the protest.

 ‘Hollywood spends a lot of money at the Beverly Hills Hotel and I don't want it to end up in the hands of that person’ she said.

‘We just want in a loving and compassionate way to put an end to it.’

The Beverly Hills Hotel responded this way:

‘We continue to abide by the laws of the countries we operate in and do not tolerate any form of discrimination of any kind’ a spokesperson said.

‘The laws that exist in other countries outside of where Dorchester Collection operates do not affect the policies that govern how we run our hotels."

Interesting. So I guess they're telling us that we should not mind the fact that gay people will be getting stoned for being gay in another country as long as we're all fine here in the US. That doesn't work for me in Russia and it doesn't work for me in this case either. I'd rather spend the night in my car than in any of their hotels.

You can read more here.

US Catholics on Gay Marriage

According to this link, US Catholics are more liberal about gay marriage than white evangelical Protestants.

Work done by the Public Religion Research Institute, released on 24 April, showed less than half of US Catholics, 49%, saw gay sex between two adults as 'morally wrong.'

An overwhelming majority, 78%, of white evangelical Protestants consider sexual relations between same gender adults as morally suspect.

When it comes to marriage equality, only 37% of US Catholics oppose it; 69% of white evangelical Protestants are also against same sex marriage.

This is no surprise to me. I grew up Catholic and know many Catholics and none of them oppose gays or same sex marriage...at least none that I know. The article mentions nothing about African American Protestants, and I'd be curious to see where those figures come in. I have read studies where most reformed Jewish people are pro-equality and very liberal. But I don't have any links to prove it.

You can read more here.

No comments: