Sunday, March 23, 2014

Tom Daly's Man Problem; Young, African & Gay; Weir's Divorce

Tom Daley's Man Problem

Last year Tom Daley came out, disclosed he's in a relationship with a man, and ever since then he's been amazed at all the attention he's getting from men. They are hitting on him and he just doesn't get it.

"Some people come up to me and say, ‘Do you want to go back?’ And I’m like, ‘What do you mean? The whole reason I did this was because I have a boyfriend,'” he said.

Noting that his fans and fellow athletes have been "so supportive" and "so nice" about his coming out, Daley nonetheless revealed there have been a few odd encounters along the way.

Oh, so innocent and shy. Just a simple, humble gay boy without a clue.

But he does talk about all the support he's received since coming out, especially from grandparents, which compensates for the rest of his unusual comments.

You can read more here.


Young African & Gay

Considering what's happening to LGBTI people in Africa these days, I think the article I'm linking to now might help show people what it's like to be young, African, and gay. It's very well-written, from a first hand POV. It's smart, it's humble, it's painful in some places, and it shows how good, decent, honest people sometimes do get a voice in this world. And I think this voice is helping many others cope with their situations.

When I first came out to my family, most of them stopped talking to me. My father, who I was very close to, stopped speaking to me for two years before picking up the phone late one night to let me know that my being gay was not only an amoral form of psychic and sexual corruption, but also an act of perverse, Western mimicry. I was not only going against my Islamic upbringing, but my African heritage as well.

You can read more here.

There's some back story about the culture, and how his family reacted to him writing about being gay. I highly recommend reading it. I think this trumps many things out there we tend to think of as important.  In fact, I'm going to be focusing on what's happening in Africa a lot more in the coming months. It's just too serious to ignore.

Weir's Divorce

This is a really rough transition, but it will give you a perfect example of things we think about that truly (TRULY) are not important. Johnny Weir's estranged husband (ugh) tweeted that Weir did, indeed, file for divorce months before he actually let the estranged husband know it. There are words for people who do things like this. I'm not going to repeat them. But there are words in the gay community that sums all this up very well.

Yes. I'd like to confirm, It's true: I am only now finding out that my husband @johnnygweir filed for divorce from me months ago.
— Victor Weir-Voronov (@Vweirvoronov) March 20, 2014

You can read more here. You won't need smelling salts. It's pretty much what you'd expect from people like this. Do I sound too harsh? Maybe so, but not when you compare this bullshit to what's happening to gays in Africa. These two really could fall off the face of the earth tomorrow and no one would miss them.











No comments: