Wednesday, March 26, 2014

The Preacher's Husband Cover; Bullies, Amazon Petition

The Preacher's Husband Cover

2014 has turned into one of the busiest years ever. Tomorrow I'll post about a short sequel to "Fangsters: Clan of the Jersey Boys," that will be a part of a new vampire anthology, Until the Sun Rises, with German Publisher, Bruno Gmunder. I get a lot of e-mails about Fangsters asking if there will be more in the series and right now I'm honestly not sure. But right now I'd like to post the cover preview of my latest indie, The Preacher's Husband. This one is part of the Glendora Hill series. The first of which was released at Christmas, Cowboy Christmas Miracle. There will be five books altogether in the series.



I'll post a release date very soon. Edits are in, all is revised, and we're just waiting on tech details.

Bullies, Amazon Petition

Since the beginning of the whole book review bully issue I've always remained objective on the topic because even though I'm a blogger I'm also an author and I stand by the rule of not reading my own reviews...ever. And, as a blogger I do think it's important to remain objective sometimes. In other words, I try to think about what my blog readers want and in this case I think they want information, not my opinions. I also truly believe that most people want to feel good, not focus on negatives. There's enough negativity in the world now and I'd rather not add more to it.

Earlier this week I posted a few things about Anne Rice and the bully petition asking Amazon to make changes to the review system so that no anonymous reviews would be allowed.  And now I'm linking to an op-ed piece that discusses how the fun in reviewing is starting to disappear for some thanks to so much controversy...and several other reasons. It's a popular blog in the romance community, but it's also a blog on the fringes of society in the mainstream. And whenever you get a gathering of passionate people on the fringes of mainstream society, things often get explosive.

You can read more here.

The only comment I will add is that none of this is really all that new. I've been in publishing since I graduated from college and landed my first (awful) job at Conde Nast in NY. I've seen it all before. Years ago something like this would have been in a newspaper or small book review section most people would have missed. The only difference this time is that more people are involved and more opinions are shared now thanks to Internet exposure. Frankly, I'm not sure if that helps or hurts. But sometimes you have to take things into perspective and look at the bigger proverbial picture. If you were to go into any supermarket in the US and ask anyone at random what they think of the bully/review issue I would bet most people wouldn't even know what you're talking about.



No comments: