Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Lance Bass: Gay President; Trans CrossFit Lawsuit; Adele Can Turn You Gay

Lance Bass: Gay US President

You have to love the voices we give to those without much say. Here in the US it's becoming a tradition to give them platforms, and with Lance Bass leading the proverbial troupe. In this article he speculates that Franklin D. Roosevelt was probably gay. It could be a joke, but it's also a fascinating topic that's been talked about at length with other US Presidents, so the answer is a little surprising...especially when you consider the fact that FDR led one of the most notorious gay witch hunts of the 20th Century called The Newport Sex Scandal.

The former boyband singer was finished judging the Queen of the Universe Pageant when TMZ asked him about his thoughts on a gay commander-in-chief.

‘Statistically speaking, I’m sure that someone in the White House has definitely slept with the same sex. I would definitely go out and say that, yes,’ Bass said.

 There’s been rumors,’ Bass joked. ‘I’m looking at you, Roosevelt.’

You can read more here.

Although he's off base with Roosevelt, he's not completely wrong about a gay US President. This article talks about President James Buchanan being gay. And I've read several bios on Buchanan that make the same claims.

There can be no doubt that James Buchanan was gay, before, during and after his four years in the White House. Moreover, the nation knew it, too — he was not far into the closet.

Today, I know no historian who has studied the matter and thinks Buchanan was heterosexual. Fifteen years ago, historian John Howard, author of “Men Like That,” a pioneering study of queer culture in Mississippi, shared with me the key documents, including Buchanan’s May 13, 1844, letter to a Mrs. Roosevelt. Describing his deteriorating social life after his great love, William Rufus King, senator from Alabama, had moved to Paris to become our ambassador to France, Buchanan wrote:

I am now “solitary and alone,” having no companion in the house with me. I have gone a wooing to several gentlemen, but have not succeeded with any one of them. I feel that it is not good for man to be alone; and should not be astonished to find myself married to some old maid who can nurse me when I am sick, provide good dinners for me when I am well, and not expect from me any very ardent or romantic affection.

It's also been rumored that Abe Lincoln had a gay relationship, but never proven with any solid details. And first lady, Eleanor Roosevelt, Franklin's wife, has also had her share of lesbian rumors.

FDR did have a Navy unit that was designed to entrap gay men for committing certain acts. This highly unethical and homophobic incident was called the Newport Sex Scandal. But FDR gay? I'm going to post more about the Newport Sex Scandal soon. Let's hope Bass was only joking around.

Transgender CrossFit Lawsuit

I posted about transgender, Cholie Jonnson, and how she's suing CrossFit for allegedly discriminating against her, last week. And there was a recent discussion on the Wendy Williams show about this case that became transphobic. In short, for those who don't want to check out my link, CrossFit allegedly doesn't want a transgender woman competing against "women" because they allegedly think Jonnson is genetically built more like a man. Jonnson identifies as a woman, she's had reassignment surgery, and is legally a woman in the state of California. But Wendy Williams doesn't agree, and the transphobic comments she makes are a even more shocking than FDR being gay.

Agreeing that Jonsson should not be able to compete in the women’s division, Williams said: ‘This is an unfair advantage… You can take away female parts or male parts or whatever - it’s like Chaz Bono! You know Chaz is a man now, but I bet she still fights like a girl like the rest of us and she’s not as strong as a man who was born a man.’

Toler attempts to provide a legal perspective explaining that Jonsson should be free to compete as a woman, but Pardavila says: ‘Think about it. You look inside - she’s got all guy muscles, and the juices! You know, I’m not a doctor or anything but inside her that’s all there.’

 A video of the segment was posted on The Wendy Williams Show website but has since been removed.

I only have one question.

Who is Wendy Williams and why do we even care about her? I'm not up on my daytime talk shows and I don't really have a clue.

You can read more here.

On the positive side, many have come out in support of Jonnson and you can count me among them.


Adele Can Turn You Gay

In keeping with the circus theme of today's post, this gem of an article says there's a doctor who thinks that listening to Adele music...or any music popular with gays...is going to turn you gay. He suggests listening to Christian music instead.

A retired doctor has claimed the Oscar-winning ‘Skyfall’ singer is on the list of things that men ‘should avoid if they want to be straight’.

Openly gay doctor Christian Jessen, 37, discovered the bizarre claims in a new Channel 4 documentary Cure Me I’m Gay.

In the film, he meets retired doctor John Smid from Texas who offers rehab and orders him to strip his life of things that encourage his sexual orientation.

He throws out Jessen’s Adele CD, telling him: ‘Adele is very popular within the gay community. You have to listen to Christian music.’

As they say in some parts of the US, "not for nothing" but I'm gay and I'm not a huge Adele fan. I'm not a huge fan of torch songs, Broadway show tunes, or even Judy Garland for that matter. Nothing against Adele or the rest. I'm sure Adele is a great woman and she's worked hard to get where she is. But I wouldn't stand in line for her, and if you made me listen to her music in a traffic jam I'd get out and walk.

So these people really need to rethink what they are talking about and find out a little more about gay men than the basic stereotypes.

You can read more here.



No comments: