Thursday, March 20, 2014

Jiri Tlusty Gay Kiss; Republican Gay Support; Gays and Homophobes Hugging

Jiri Tlusty Gay Kiss

As a gay man I have to admit I find this interesting. Two young guys, holding each other, tongues out pointed toward each other, and they aren't gay. Of course it's all about context with things like this, but at a glance, without knowing any back story, it's interesting to see a photo of Maple Leaf Rookie, Jiri Tlusty, in such a homoerotic pose.

Lil bit of gossip here... there were some shots on the net of Jiri Tlusty on a gossip site "tonguing" another guy, which honestly doesn't really mean anything, and the tonguing was more of a silly pose for a picture... but then this same gossip site dug a lil deeper... and released probably the first ever self-nude shots of a hockey player... at least that I've seen.. lol.

The jock/sports theme makes it even more interesting because so many gay men in high profile sports still aren't ready to come out yet, if ever.

You can read more here, and see a photo of Tlusty in the pose I described above.

Towerload did a short piece here, too.

There were allegedly nude photos of Tlusty as well, but the links don't work anymore and they've evidently been taken down. He says he's not gay. I believe him. But I still think it's interesting. I'm not saying this is the case here, but I've seen plenty of photos where straight guys mock gay men with photos like this more often than not. Most of the time it's not meant to be harmful.


Republican Gay Support

This to me is inevitable, and only because I know (and have always known) so many gay Republicans who are nothing like the GOP most people think about when they hear something stupid coming from the Christian right wing. Don't think Michele Bachmann when you think gay Republican. In fact, I would even say safely that out of all the gay people I know at least 40% are gay Republicans and they can't stand Michele Bachmann. They aren't Fox News fans either, and Sarah Palin makes them cringe, too. The gay Republicans I know almost always agree with the gay Democrats I know on social issues, however, they don't agree on fiscal issues. It's not my belief because I'm an independent, but I understand it. Unfortunately, the tolerance level is low with the gay Democrats I know and there's often a lot of passive aggressive discrimination and intolerance happening behind the scenes in the gay community. And, due to aggressive peer pressure in the gay community I also know many gay Republicans who remain in the proverbial closet for fear of being bullied.

There's an ad out now with young people of all races who are Republican who aren't the typical stereotype we usually associate with the GOP. And I think that as readers and authors the people who come here to read my posts are interested in keeping up with things like this...because the world is changing and not everything is what it used to be. Politics is changing, too. And the Republican party knows that if it's going to survive they can't continue on the same path. This is especially true when it comes to gays. They lose independents like me if they don't change, and independents like me wind up voting for the lesser of two evils instead of for the best candidate. It's how I've voted, literally, since 2007. I have not left a voting booth since 2007 feeling happy about my vote. Aside from the fact that there are plenty of gay Republicans both out and in the closet, there's been a huge shift in opinion in the past few years for gay marriage and equal rights. I personally get private messages all the time from both gay and straight Republicans telling me how frustrated they often get because they are pro-gay.

In any event, this article talks about how the new Republican ads are being "lambasted" as pandering. But I'm not so sure that's true...at least not completely. All political ads pander in one way or another from all sides. And frankly, I wouldn't put anything past the Democratic party at this point, especially in an election year when things don't look that great for them.

However, gay activist Jeremy Hooper has discovered that even though the official Republican national platform opposes same-sex marriage, one of the GOP's bespectacled spokes-hipsters, Scott Greenberg, once posed for a photo with the gay-married reality show couple The Fabulous Beekman Boys. Hooper writes:

If (Greenberg) is as pro-LGBT as appearances would lead me to believe, it would actually make sense that the GOP is going this direction. After all, it's only a matter of time before they have to become an LGBT-accepting party, if they want to be in the ballgame at all.

Read more: http://www.towleroad.com/#ixzz2wW1w8PGQ

Here's the actual link.

If you are interested in politics it's an interesting article with more links. I'm not a huge political fan because I don't trust any of them. But from a social POV I think it's worth looking at simply because no one wants to remain antiquated in these changing times. The political landscape in general (and the disappointments in what be all believed was real that we've all learned to live with) since 2007 in the US are vast when compared to what's happening today. And even though the entire gay community went dead silent in the previous Presidential election when it came to the very first openly gay man ever to run for President, Fred Karger, whom I posted about often, the changes are going to happen whether people like them or not.

For me, following Karger's campaign was more about my fascination with a gay man actually running for President. I got to see that in my lifetime, just like African Americans got to see a man of African descent become President. As a gay man I think that's important. I feel the gay candidate deserves that support from me. I wish I'd seen that same support from the gay community. Since then, Karger has worked tirelessly to support same sex marriage. Once again, he was gay and ran on the Republican ticket. I haven't seen one Democrat work as hard as he has for gay marriage, and take such little credit for it.

Gays and Homophobes Hugging

An experiment called "First Hug" put gay people and homophobic people together for the first time. It was posted on Youtube and so far has received over one million hits.

The video is a parody of "First Kiss," a video that asked 20 strangers to kiss, produced by clothing company Wren. "First Kiss" has inspired other spin-offs, including Tonight Show host's Jimmy Fallon's version with kittens and puppies.

"First Hug" begins with the strangers talking before they hug.

"Why did you ever think it was a sin?" a gay man asks a woman.

"Because it says so in the Bible," she replies.

A man asks a gay man," "How do you kiss another guy? I don't get that."

"The same way you kiss another girl," the man replies.

Despite different viewpoints, the pairs end up hugging it out.

"I'm still normal, you're still normal," one woman says.

You can check it out here, where there are link and a video.



2 comments:

Louisa Bacio said...

Like always, you give a lot to think about Ryan. I don't consider myself political Ryan. I was raised Republican, but we've all swayed more toward the other side when it comes to issues such as rights. What's hard is when Democrats, too, look at censoring material. It's definitely a no-win situation.

ryan field said...

It's interesting the way things are changing, and so fast. I never think of myself as political, but I find the social aspects very interesting.