Friday, January 3, 2014

Utah Man's Hunger Strike; Ricky Martin and Boyfriend Split

Utah Man's Hunger Strike

Update: The link below was not to Meacham's blog. It's a link to something else that talks about Meacham. I couldn't find the direct link to Meacham's blog, so I just removed it altogether. If I find it, or someone else finds it, I'll add it.

This is probably one of the quirkiest things I've posted about in a while. There's a nice looking young man in Utah, Trestin Meacham, who recently blogged about going on a hunger strike until gay marriage is banned completely. What's so hard to take here is that he looks like a decent guy, his intentions don't sound as if they are born from hate, and he's willing to risk the personal relationships with gay people he knows in order to prove his point.

For those who don't know, a federal judge recently ruled banning gay marriage in Utah is unconstitutional. Since then, there have been many reactions on both sides, with those against gay marriage asking the Supreme Court to put a hold on marriage licenses, and those for gay marriage asking the Supreme Court to reject this request. I've posted about this in more detail here. But I don't want to get into the legal issues right now. I think this is far more personal.

Meacham made this statement on his blog:

“This has nothing to do with hatred of a group of people. I have friends and relatives who practice a homosexual lifestyle and I treat them with the same respect and kindness that I would anyone. This is about religious freedom, and an out of control federal government.”

I believe him. I also think the federal government is out of control in some cases, even more so in the past ten years. However, I think in this particular case there's been a lot of brainwashing and I really feel bad for him. He's also mistaken when he talks about "practice a homosexual lifestyle," because it's not something you practice. It's not something you choose either. It's something you're born with and there's really nothing to practice. Also on his blog he mentions how strong the gay movement is and compares them to Nazis. This just blows my mind because one, he has a very limited view of how many people are out there who are gay and remain completely silent and void from all activism, and two, because there are more religious gays than he actually thinks there are. Again, they remain silenced for obvious reasons. And this is just one more of the many misconceptions I find people like Meacham don't know about gays. Yes, the loudest gay activists are aggressive and sometimes I don't even agree with them in all aspects. Sometimes they crawl under my skin, and I'm just as gay as they are. However, the majority of us aren't activists and we're only looking to be treated equally.

You can read more here in this article. And this is Meacham's blog address. I hope he eats something and takes the time to learn more about gay people than just what he's read in magazines, online, or seen from Hollywood. We're really not all like that. Some of us are priests, some are ministers, some are teachers you'd never suspect, and some are even Amish. The reason why we don't hear from them is because of all the inequality and hate. For the most part, they can't afford to come out emotionally. It would devastate their lives and make Meacham's hunger strike look like a child's temper tantrum.

Ricky Martin and Boyfriend Split

This was a big wow moment for me because I just posted about Ricky Martin and his boyfriend, Carlos Gonzalez. They were together for a long time, but Martin allegedly started to hint about the break up on Twitter...where else?

For those in the straight community who are watching so many things unfold about the LGBTI community this isn't unusual and Ricky Martin and Carlos Gonzalez are just like many other gay and straight couples I've known in my lifetime that couldn't seem to make it work. Just like straight couples, they don't all live happily-ever-after and even longtime relationships end. And it can be for any number of reasons; just like with straight couples.

You can read more here. But there's really not that much to say...yet.



No comments: