Sunday, January 19, 2014

Madonna's Racial Slur; Jeff Kaufman: The State of Marriage

Madonna's Racial Slur

I almost hate putting up a title like that because I don't for one single minute think Madonna Ciccone is in any way a racist. But an exchange between Maddona and her son, Rocco, on Instagram shows her using the N-word and it's done in a way that leans more toward cultural endearment than racially charged slur.

Madonna is apologizing for using a racial slur to refer to her white son on Instagram.

On Friday night, she posted a picture of her 13-year-old son Rocco boxing and used a hashtag that contained a variation of the n-word.

When fans objected, she defiantly called them haters, but in a statement to The Associated Press on Saturday she was contrite, saying: "Forgive me."

I've posted about the Q-word...Queer...a few times and how I'm not too thrilled with it because of the associations. But I do know, both intellectually and emotionally, that the people who use the Q-word, as in LGBTQ...for the most part are not making gay slurs, they are not anti-gay, and for them it's more of a political statement. I never take offense. The same thing could be said for the N-word with respect to context. I don't use it. But I know there are people who do use it and they mean no racial harm. It's all about context.

You can read more here.

Jeff Kaufman: The State of Marriage

I was speaking to film producer, Jeff Kaufman, on the phone the other day and he mentioned he was heading to the Sundance Film Festival this weekend. I can't say why I was speaking to him yet, but I will next week. But I'm also posting about Kaufman because he's working on a documentary right now about same sex marriage and equal rights. And this is just one of his projects, among others like, The Savoy King, that has garnered more than a few excellent reviews.

I also realized I don't post enough about indie films, at least not as much as I do about indie books and authors, and most of the films Tony and I watch are actually indies.

Thanks perhaps to a life that was painfully brief in comparisonto peers like Duke Ellington, Swing Era bandleader Chick Webb is underappreciated by casual music lovers. Jeff Kaufman's enjoyable, convincing The Savoy King seeks to remedy that, and will likely draw some attention solely for the startling lineup of actors providing voice-over talent. Though unlikely to see many big-screen bookings outside the fest circuit, the doc is rewarding for any Swing fan and, given some colorful and heartstring-pulling elements, will likely inspire filmmakers in the audience to wonder about biopic rights.

You can read more here. And you can read more here about Jeff Kaufman and Floating World Pictures. The documentary he's doing is titled, The State of Marriage, and that second link will lead you directly to that page.

More to come on The State of Marriage very soon.


No comments: