Monday, December 30, 2013

Robin Roberts Inspires; Pretty Boy Dead Best Book; Wicked Gay Blog

Robin Roberts Inspires

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Robin_Roberts_at_Heart_Truth_2010_cropped.jpg


In the summer of 2007 Robin Roberts disclosed she had breast cancer. By August 2007 she had surgery and the follow up treatments she underwent continued into 2008. At the time, I followed her story closely because that same summer Tony was going through his life/death crisis. And the bravery Roberts showed during her own crisis left an impact on me personally and I think helped give me a sort of indirect support to deal with all the things I was going through that summer. She was a huge inspiration to me, and I never forgot that. And once again, Roberts recently became an inspiration to millions of LGBT people in disclosing that she's a lesbian and has been with the same woman for ten years.

Unfortunately, Roberts was diagnosed with a bone marrow disease in 2012 and it gutted me to hear that after all she went through with breast cancer she had to deal with something else. You'd think once in a lifetime would be enough, but we all know that's not how it works. Once again, Roberts has showed the same strength, dignity, and grace she showed while battling breast cancer.

On December 29, 2013, Roberts came out on Facebook:

 "At this moment I am at peace and filled with joy and gratitude. I am grateful to God, my doctors and nurses for my restored good health...I am grateful for my entire family, my long time girlfriend, Amber, and friends as we prepare to celebrate a glorious new year together." Roberts and Amber Laign, a massage therapist, have been together for 10 years. This was the first time Roberts publicly acknowledged her longstanding same-sex relationship.

You can read more here. Photo is in the Public Domain.

The support I've seen for Roberts has also been inspiring. This isn't just fandom. It goes way deeper than that.

 Pretty Boy Dead Best Book

I usually don't post these things because I find that any best book list tends to be fundamentally flawed at best, and highly subjective at worst. In small genres like M/M Romance where there are thousands of wonderful "best" books, best book lists also put writer against writer and book against book in ways I don't always think are fair. It's also a way for aggressive book bloggers to promote themselves and garner hits. As a small, humble blogger I absolutely refuse to do these things to exploit authors. I don't mind doing it to other bloggers. But not to authors.

In the same respect, there are exceptions to every rule. The reason I'm mentioning the book, Pretty Boy Dead, by Jon Michaelsen, is because sometimes book bloggers do get it right and sometimes best books are given the credit they deserve. As it happens, I'm right in the middle of reading Pretty Boy Dead and it's such a great book I wanted to post something about it. There's a "best" book post up at the now defunct Jessewave web site, and Pretty Boy Dead is listed as one of the best books of 2013. In this case, I couldn't agree more with this choice.

You can read more here. Along with Pretty Boy Dead, there's a list of other best books for 2013. Some I read, some are excellent choices. But one or two leave me wondering...without the ambition to comment further because they're so bad. Like I said, it's all highly subjective. 

Wicked Gay Blog

Once in a while I come across a blog that's for gay men that makes me smile. In this case, it's a blog titled, Wicked Gay Blog, and you can check it out here.

I'm not going to link to any post right now because I like the whole package as far as blogging goes. I just want to give examples in a general sense to nudge people over there. There are posts about gay news, posts that are more personal, and topics discussed that are geared for gay men without a hint of judgment. And the photos are excellent, too. I have no idea how they get permission to use these photos, but I can only assume they have taken copyright into consideration, they are aware of how litigious people can be nowadays, and they know what they are doing.

They do have ads, but I don't find them intrusive or annoying. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

No comments: