Tuesday, October 29, 2013

One Year After Hurricane Sandy...

One Year After Hurricane Sandy...

This time last year Tony and I were in our basement preparing for a long night of destructive winds, battering rains, and the worst storm of this century so far. We had been following the weather reports all week and we knew what to expect. Or at least we thought we knew. I posted about this last year, here.

As everyone knows by now, the path of destruction from Hurricane Sandy goes on for miles. I have been trying to keep in touch with friends and family in Manhattan via text and e-mail, and it's been difficult at best. Power is out all over NY, NJ and PA and most land lines don't work. So far, everyone I know is OK, thankfully.

Looking back now, I can say this was the worst storm I've ever lived through and there are still parts of Bucks County, PA, where you can see remnants of the wind damage. Many of the large trees that went down still haven't been removed in certain places. In other places where trees had to be cut to make way for roads the stumps are still there, tipped sideways. This past weekend we had the first bonfire of the season, and most the what we burned were tree limbs and branches that came down during Sandy. At the time, we just piled them into a corner and waited for them to season a little. And it was the biggest bonfire we've had in ten years. The photo above only shows the beginning.

We were lucky, though. This part of PA only got hit with the wind, unlike parts of the Jersey Shore where entire towns were ruined and lives were changed forever because of the wind and rain. People are still cleaning up the mess in many places.

When Hurricane Sandy struck the East Coast a year ago, it swept away homes and left neighborhoods in ruin. It destroyed roads and flooded subways tunnels. It sank boats and damaged cars. It drenched paintings and shuttered museums. It left millions without power, disrupting hospitals and schools. When it was all over, Sandy had done $68 billion worth of damage.

You can read more here.

We lost power for twelve days, and we had a generator so we were at least able to hook up to some parts of civilization. But even that became an issue because we reached one point after the fifth day where we couldn't even find an open gas station to fill the gas tanks so the generator would run. We finally wound up finding gas about twenty-five miles away, and we waited in line for an hour and a half. And yet, in spite of all the inconvenience, we still knew we were lucky compared to many other people in New York and New Jersey.

And for some it's still not over.

Thousands of New York and New Jersey residents displaced when Superstorm Sandy barreled ashore one year ago are still fighting with insurance companies, slogging through red tape and waiting for government aid – and many still aren’t home.

No comments: