Sunday, November 4, 2012

Just Some More Devastation at the Jersey Shore; How Not to Promote Books



I'm told this photo was taken by someone who is working hard at relief and rescue at the New Jersey Shore this week in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy.

And this is just one of many I've received from people.

I'd also like to add this. One thing that's been particularly hard this entire week has been watching self-absorbed writers promote and market their books without even acknowledging what's been happening here in this part of the US. I'm thrilled you have your 16th five star Amazon review, Betty Jane author who writes about gay men. Now I can sleep tonight. I'm thrilled you have so many photos of hot gay men to share with everyone while you promote your books in the aftermath of one of the worst storms ever to hit the eastern seaboard.

But I've been reading FB updates about friends...personal friends I know, not cyber friends I may or may not ever meet...and all the devastation they've been dealing with. So forgive me if I'm just not excited for you and I unsubscribe from your news feed. Because sometimes you just have to be smart enough to know when to tone it down a little.

5 comments:

pfodge said...

I've been following the NJ National Guard over on FB, the images that they have posted just break my heart. Living here in Las Vegas. and seeing what the place where I grew up, and raised my kids looks like now, makes me heartsick.

My sister and my father-in-law just had power turned back on last night. My son has had power for about 3 days. Others won't have power until the middle of this coming week. And to top it all off there is a nor'easter coming up the coast, where the beaches and the dunes have all washed away.

ryan field said...

I still can't get in touch with realtives who live on the bay in Brick, NJ. I'm praying they are okay and in safe places.

And after hearing about the nor'easter coming, I'm getting a little worried again.

michele said...

Sweetie, I can't agree with you more. I've been watching you through my phone as I'm out of Colorado and visiting my dying father. There are those times when I just shake my head at the audacity and how self absorbed people really can be.

To think of all the people who have lost everything and some who have lost loved ones due to Sandy, and seeing no concerns for them here...well its sad.

pfodge said...

We have friends who live in the bay area also, he was able to post that they had some trees down, but came through it okay. He is running a generator right now. I haven't heard anything about them getting power back yet.

I've been following PSEGdelivers over on Twitter, they have been really great about posting when power has been turned on in a lot of the towns and boroughs.

Cell phone service has been sketchy at best, my son says that it takes 4 or 5 times sometimes to get through to me, and I haven't been able to get through to him at all, his phone goes straight to voicemail even when he is fully charged and has full signal.

I know that the barrier islands were hit hard, and the devastation is unbelievable. I will keep your friends in my thoughts and prayers. I hope you get to hear from them soon.

ryan field said...

@pfodge...Thanks for telling me that. I'm hoping that it's just hard for them to get through to us right now. Thanks for the prayers, too.

@Michele...It gets a little frustrating. I know life goes on and all that, but it's hard to go from such sadness to the other stuff.