Monday, November 5, 2012

Doing the "Right Thing" on Tuesday and Political Bullies



Tuesday is election day in the US. We are voting to either reelect our current President, or voting to elect a new President. We hold these general elections every four years. It's a very exciting time for most of us, and it can also be a very stressful time for some.

I don't post about politics or my political beliefs here on this blog. I'm not doing that now. I happen to be a rare dying breed: I respect everyone's opinons. So this is just a general post mainly for those are worried about voting, and for those who don't live in the US and are curious about what it's like over here during voting time.

This year it's been particularly brutal. It's usually intense during presidential elections, but I haven't seen it this way in a very long time. People are passionate about their candidates and they are fighting hard to see them get elected. Some are turning into bullies and it's getting ugly.

And when that happens sometimes we lose sight of common sense. It's wonderful to be passionate about a political candidate, and to work hard to see that candidate get elected or reelected as the case my be. But voting in the US is not a group activity, at least not as far as I know. Voting is a private matter for every single individual and no one has a right to bully or force anyone into voting a certain way.

The other day a good friend told me that a mutual friend of ours said this to him: "Remember to vote the right way on Tuesday." Of course that means that our mutual friend wants my good friend to vote for our mutual friend's candidate of choice, not to vote according to my good friend's own conscience. Not only is this wrong in too many ways to count, it's insulting and patronizing and no one has the right to tell anyone else how to vote. NO ONE. No one has the right to apply pressure or force, not even gay people.

So don't be bullied by anyone. If you aren't the confrontational type and someone says this to you, just smile, nod, and walk away. Then go vote for who you believe is the right candidate. It's your choice. You have that privilege as an American to vote however you wish. And no bully has the right to force you into voting any other way. If you are the confrontation type,  do what I do: tell them to fuck off, and then smile and walk away.

Doing the right thing when you vote is about what you believe as an American, not about what someone else believes.  

4 comments:

anny cook said...

Excellent post, Ryan! You're right...things haven't been this bad in a long time.

ryan field said...

A good portion of this post was meant for a few people I know personally who live here. I have never seen gay people bully other gay people so much in my life. It's unreal.

T.D. McFrost said...

One of the things I found troubling with Mitt Romney's claims (among many) is that he states he will PUNISH China for cheating where exporting is concerned; not only that, he claims he CAN levy them for this as well. Last I checked, China is becomming more powerful than America and I highly doubt they will just roll over simply because he's the president of the USA. Oh, and he says he will make this a priority on his first day on the job. Someone needs to put him over their lap and spank him, repeatidly saying, "This isn't Monopoly, this is the real world!"

As for Obama, well...he needs to DO MORE if he's re-elected. I'm well aware he's not entirely to blame for the -9% unemployment rate and the defecit of ten trillion plus, but some of his plans are quite disasterous and a complete revision of them is needed if he is to be an effective President.

All in all, whoever becomes chief will have a shitstrom of work to do to get things smooth again--if ever. Obama is trying very hard to make a change while the other is just grandstanding and spewing lies at every juncture.

And I want to thank you for the comment you left the other day Ryan, that was really cool of you and it made me feel great.

You're the best!

ryan field said...

You're welcome. I meant every word. A lot of times I see writers doubt themselves and they need to hear something encouraging. It can be a rough business at best. I think you have "it."