Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Who Couldn't Love a Pink Pumpkin?


October is national breast cancer awareness month, and this year there's something different.

Pink pumpkins!

Although October is designated as National Breast Cancer Awareness Month, NBCAM is dedicated to raising awareness and educating individuals about breast cancer throughout the year.

The Pink Pumpkin Patch Foundation is new. And from what I can see, it's not only helping in the fight against breast cancer, but also a segment of the farming industry in the US.

The Pink Pumpkin Patch Foundation was created in 2012 to aid in the fight against breast cancer. America’s pumpkin growers have committed to giving a percentage of proceeds from every pink pumpkin sold this year to organizations involved in breast cancer research.

If your life has not been touched by breast cancer consider yourself lucky. I've seen what it does, and in my case with both men and women. Yes, men can get breast cancer, too.  

And, if you're an American, Halloween is usually a big holiday that's celebrated with parties, costumes, and events for children as well as adults. It's becoming increasingly bigger each year, which is nothing new to me because it was always a huge holiday in the gay male community.

I think all attempts at charity are important and valid. Anyone who gets seriously involved in any charity work does it from the heart and feels passionate about it. It also gives us a reason to gather as a group and support something that's only going to bring about good results. We all have designated charities we focus on, but I usually donate to a lot of causes I feel are important.

And breast cancer is important to me. It's not my primary charity, but it's close to being there.




And who couldn't resist a pink pumpkin? You'd have to a be cold-hearted, ugly, hideous, decrepit, vacuous minx, indeed.

Not only am I going to scout for these this year, I'm going to feel a whole lot better about buying pumpkins that I'll only throw away after Thanksgiving knowing that the money I spent on them went to a good cause that's helping a lot of good, decent people in the fight against breast cancer.

2 comments:

anny cook said...

Very cool. I'll check out my area for pink pumpkins!

ryan field said...

I'll post photos if I find any.