Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Coping With Sandy's Aftermath

I've only posted with an iPhone once before, so this post won't be long.

As everyone knows by now, the path of destruction from Hurricane Sandy goes on for miles. I have been trying to keep in touch with friends and family in Mahattan via text and e-mail, and it's been difficult at best. Power is out all over NY, NJ and PA and most land lines don't work. So far, everyone I know is OK, thankfully.

We got through the storm with far less issues than most people I know. We lost power on Monday night and we are not supposed to get it back until Thursday. The longest we have ever been without power has been a day, so that's a pretty good example of how  destructive Sandy was around New Hope and the Philadelphia area.

After last year's freak snowstorm on Halloween we bought a generator that sat in the garage for one year. It's come in handy this week. I've also been thinking about my Amish friend I once posted about who never has electricity. It's amazing how much we take for granted.

We got lucky this time compared to the thousands of people who have lost homes, and in some cases lives. With all the massive trees we have we are thankful for that as well. For those who are struggling with more serious issues, I wish you the best. I have been through a great deal in life and the magnitude of this hurricane is now in the top ten worst. But with a fully charged e-reader and my new AJ Llewellyn book I'm going to read this one out.

4 comments:

Shelagh said...

I'm glad you're OK. Maybe having no power is the perfect excuse for a romantic candlelit dinner for two?

ryan field said...

Ha! We've had three of them so far. You can't even go out because the restaurants are closed without power.

Louisa Bacio said...

It's good to have a back-up, even if it sits there for a year of non-use. Glad to hear you're relatively unscathed and may the power return in full soon.

ryan field said...

Thanks! From what I've seen and heard we're not going to complain about anything.