Thursday, October 25, 2012

Big Thanks to A.J. Llewellyn and Gay Rom Lit 2012



For those who don't know, every year there's an event held for authors and readers and publishers called Gay Rom Lit...GRL. This year it was held in Albuquerque, NM, and though I would have liked to have attended it was just too far and there were too many things happening. I've had four weddings this fall so far, and one more to go. And Tony and I don't travel often these days because we have two dogs and we take them with us when we travel because I don't trust pet sitters or boarding kennels. I've seen and heard too many bad stories. And one dog is going on thirteen years old and it's not easy for him to travel anymore, so we're basically stuck with taking short weekend trips for the time being.

So when I received an e-mail last Monday morning informing me that I was one of the winners of the Final Give Away for GRL 2012, I was both thrilled and surprised. It's a DVD of "Is It Just Me?" and I haven't seen it yet. So I'd like to send a big shout of thanks to the people at GRL for this.

Next year, from what I've been told, GRL will be held in Atlanta. And that's nice to hear. Not only is Atlanta one of my favorite cities in the US, Tony and I are both familiar with it. Tony traveled there on business for years, and I actually lived in Spartanburg, SC one summer taking classes, which was only a few hours away from Atlanta. I spent a lot of good times there, and I LOVE the south. It's also not that bad a drive from New Hope...about twelve or thirteen hours...and we don't consider that a long drive at all. So I'm hoping I'll be able to attend next year, and get to meet so many of the people I know online.

I'd also like to thank author A. J. Llewellyn. A. J. had a contest about a week ago and I entered never thinking I would win. I don't usually win contests, not even small amounts in the instant lottery, so that was a nice surprise, too. And I'm a big fan of A. J.'s work. I've collaborated with A. J. on blog posts, I've ranted about piracy when I was frustrated, and I've posted about A. J.'s work here on this blog a couple of times. A.J. has a writing style that draws me into the story from page one, and keeps me there until the end. I can even remember certain characters (I'm bad with names, but I do remember the characters), which doesn't always happen. I like that. It means I'll take that with me forever.

The book I won is titled, "Mating Tomeo," and you can read more about it here.  So a huge thanks to A. J. as well for having the contest.

  

2 comments:

elisa-rolle said...

the DVDs giveaway was actually Calciano's offer to me, and I thought it was an awesome idea to use them as final giveaway for the GRL. Calciano liked the idea since I posted it on National Coming Out Day, and that was a nice coincidence. Very happy you maybe will be in Atlanta, I'm thinking to join too. Elisa

ryan field said...

Thanks so much. I'm hoping that I'll get there, too. Atlanta isn't that far, and it's a very easy road trip from here.