Monday, September 3, 2012

"No Sockpuppets Here Please:" A Message From Some Writers

These days more and more books are bought, sold, and recommended on-line, and the health of this exciting new ecosystem depends entirely on free and honest conversation among readers. But some writers are misusing these new channels in ways that are fraudulent and damaging to publishing at large. British author Stephen Leather recently admitted that he used fake identities online to promote his work. The American bestseller John Locke has revealed he has paid for reviews of his books. The British author RJ Ellory has now confessed to posting flattering reviews of his own work and to using assumed names to attack other authors perceived to be his rivals.

I don't know who started this new web site to stop online fraud with book reviews. A friend posted a link to my facebook timeline earlier and I thought I'd share it for others who didn't see it. I knew it would only be a matter of time before people really started to fight back against a lot of the corruption that's been so commonplace on the Internet for so long.

I've been following one sockpuppet for a while now. They don't know it, but I know who they are and I will do something about it when I have the proof I need. There's always a pattern...always.

In any event, if you agree with what this group of authors is trying to do, you can leave your name in support. You can also pass this along to other readers and writers who might be interested. You can get there from here.

No comments: