Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Republican Platform: Gay Marriage

I rarely get political here. I vote as an independent and never strictly down party lines.

But when the Republican party makes this kind of an announcement, they don't really leave me much of a choice this November.

MARRIAGE:

The platform affirms the rights of states and the federal government not to recognize same-sex marriage. It backs a constitutional amendment defining marriage as the union of one man and one woman.


According to the article, this is a key part of the Republican platform. I found it on Fox, so it's not left wing spin. It's interesting to be gay, in a relationship with someone for twenty years, and read something like this in black and white.

And speaking of black and white, I think I know how mixed raced couples felt not more than fifty years ago when marriage was defined in some places as a union between one white man and one white woman.

It's even more interesting because Tony and I have nieces and nephews who are products of marriages between one man and one woman...one other man and one other woman...and in some cases one more man and one more woman. In other words, we lasted all these years and we can't legally get married. Our family members have been married and divorced several times. I have one set of nieces and nephews with more grandparents than they know what to do with.

So maybe they should change the platform to read marriage is the union between one man and one woman until the one man or one woman decide it's time for marriage to be between one man and another woman, or one woman and another man. As things stand now with so many younger straight couples terrified to get married because they came from broken homes, and so many middle aged straight couples getting divorced, that would make far more sense to me.

But I do take pride in knowing that my nieces and nephews from broken homes, who have suffered the damages and trauma of divorce, have seen at least one solid relationship last that might help set an example for them in the future...even if the Republican platform refuses to recognize Tony and me legally.

This blog is not a democracy. Comments that don't agree with me will not be published.

8 comments:

Daisy Harris said...

That last line is the best ever. LOL.

Good for you being in such a solid, lasting relationship. I'll never understand why some people are against people loving who they chose. It's a mystery to me.

Cheers,

Daisy

ryan field said...

Thanks for commenting ;)

carottop said...

It's nice to hear about other couples with some longevity to their relationship. My husband I are hitting 23 years next month and that's odd now a days when all our friends around us are getting divorced. My brother today told me that him and his wife of 26 years are getting divorced. I was totally shocked! I guess it goes to show you never know what goes on behind closed doors. Which leads to my next point. I want to know why in this politically charged society that we live in where the US is going to shit were worrying about whether a couple people (doesn't matter if there same sex) want to get married is any bodies fucken business? My daughter and her partner are getting married May 3, 2014 and I hope by than it will be recognized by the state of Ohio.

ryan field said...

Congrats on 23 years. It is rare. Tony and I have divorce on both side, so we know how that works. And it's a hard thing to go through for everyone in the family.

Best of luck to your daughter and her partner. I don't know anything about Ohio, but I hope it's recognized. If not, they can do what two women friends of mine did. They take vacations to states where marriage is legal and get married there. Unfortunately, it's the best we can do now.

carottop said...

Thank you. There both in the army and Krystal is being deployed to Afghanistan in April. Were going to New York in march so they can have a civil ceremony in a legal state and then were doing the "big" thing in 2014. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that by then the rest of this country will get there heads on straight!

Btw finished Chase of a Dream, it was really good series. I love reading a second and or third of a book. I fall in love with some characters and want to know what happens next! Lol

ryan field said...

Bravo to them!! You have a lot to be proud about. I am hoping for the same thing in 2014. However, until this happens please tell them to either contact an attorney or talk to older gay couples to find out about getting legal power of attorney and other important things in writing. I cannot stress this enough.

Thanks for the comments about Chase. I have a third one coming out soon that will be published with ravenous romance. I decided to go with a publisher so I can keep working on the writing and not deal with other things. But nothing about the series will change.

carottop said...

Thanks, I will pass that on.

Ok now I'm excited! Any idea when?

ryan field said...

It's important they do this :)

The new book should be out in about a month, depending on how fast they edit it and release it.